Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-25-2003, 02:19 PM

Default PT 6 equivalent of LA 6 "freeze" function?

I really love Pro Tools for audio editing, but it is very frustrating to bounce down in real time. Does anyone know of a way to bounce down quickly like Reason, or a Pro Tools equivalent to the freeze function in Logic Audio which seems like a great idea from where I'm sitting.

thanks
Old 04-25-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Re: PT 6 equivalent of LA 6 "freeze" function?

That's something I'd love to hear about. As an audio editor, when I'm doing a rush for a client, having to spend the TIME bouncing down at real TIME is such a waste of TIME. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 04:15 PM

MY VOTE FOR THIS TOO DIGI!!!!!!!

---------------------------
Old 04-25-2003, 05:47 PM

There are no equivalent functions that I know of. If you're just editing (no effects) and just working in stereo only, you can use the "consolidate selection" feature, and then "export selected as files" to change the file format to true stereo if needed.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:51 PM

Keep in mind I'm basing this reply on experiences with PT Free 4.3 and I could certainly be wrong...

I remember that bounce to disk was at least twice as fast as playback if not more like 4 or 5 times faster in 4.x. But back then there were no RTAS plugs. With the advent of "real time" plugs in 5.x, bounces became much more processor intensive. In 4.x the bounces didn't have to compute any plugs because they were all audiosuite. Audiosuite took care of the processing before the bounce. If you doubled the BTD speed in 5.x, the RTAS plugs would have to work twice as hard. That would work if everyone kept their CPU usage below 50%. Knowing this would just cause all sorts of problems, Digi made BTD real time. It's a bummer, yes, but RTAS plugs are worth it.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 04-25-2003, 11:24 PM

Quote:
dans
Member # 6927
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Quote:
Keep in mind I'm basing this reply on experiences with PT Free 4.3
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow! a 6 thousandth member with no experience of PT 5...Welcome back!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Well, I don't go as far back as you do, but it is interesting [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] to know that a faster than realtime BTD was available before. Now that both Logic and DP have got a freeze function, it would be a welcome addition (sort-of!) to PT LE
Old 04-26-2003, 12:12 AM

I go back to PT 3.x and don't remember a non real time BTD... I'll have to power up my 7100 and 442 system to check.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-26-2003, 09:01 AM

I don't remember any version of PT 4 offering anything except real time BTD.

I know DP has this function (at least as far back as 2.x), but if you check out the unicornation.com bulletin board there was a thread a while back where the consensus was to bounce in real time to a stereo audio track because the real time sounded much better than the accellerated BTD.

So, while it is a function of allowing outboard processing during mixdown, it may also have a lot to do with final sound quality.

-Steve

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:19 AM

I distinctly remember getting my 001, installing 5.0 (after deleting 4.3 free that I had used for about a year), recording a quick tune, bouncing to disk and thinking, hmmmm, this is going to be slow. Then I distinctly remember a post on this very DUC way, way back last century in 1999 (ok, it might have been in early 2000 or so) on this very topic. Digi posted a explanation that had something to do with RTAS. Believe it...or not. LWilliam, where are you? He would remember...

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 04-26-2003, 09:29 AM

another thread on this subject

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason