Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-25-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Monitoring with 001

Hi everyone,
i was just cruious what you all use for monitoring 001.

Any input/feedback is apppreciated
Digimax 96
Joemeek VC6Q
various mics and outboard processors
Old 03-25-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Monitoring with 001

Control room monitors are Yamaha NS-10's w/Hafler P1500 and Genelec 1030a's.

headphone monitoring via Rane HC-6 6 channel headphone amp.

6 pr Sony MDR 7506
2 pr AKG 240

Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:23 PM

My mains are custom boxes with 12" Rola drivers and horns biamped with Crown ES-212 dual 10" bass cabinets. I have another three channels of monitoring (centre and L&R surround) totalling 5.2 channels. Amplification is also my own design, matched to the monitors.
Also in use are two pairs of small, cheap, two way HiFi speakers and a Panasonic compact stereo system with Pioneer speakers. For alternative surround monitoring, I use our home theatre setup utilising a pair of mid priced Cerwin Vega HiFi speakers, a Tannoy centre channel, custom sub and Sony surrounds in a typical 5.1 channel setup.
Headphones are AKG K240M and Sennheiser HD250.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:08 PM

My main monitors are Event 20/20bas. I also use Alesis Monitor Ones (with a NAD integrated amplifier) and a Sony mini system to be able to hear how it sounds on all levels of playback systems.

Headphones go out to a samson 5-channel. AKG 240M and Audio-Technica m40fs phones.

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:18 PM

curious to know what type of amps you built doc... I used to do installs of car audio for numerous companys i.e. sony, eclipse, phoenix gold, etc. Guy who taught me the "art" of custom car audio also turned me on to Speakerworks magazine. Oh hell yeah, i built my own speakers for my home stereo, and the BLEW AWAY EVERYTHING I HAD HEARD IN THE RETAIL SECTOR. It is amazing to know that if you buy a 25 dollar woofer and 15 dollar tweeter you will have better quality stuff than most speakers by jbl, infinity, polk, etc.

Always wanted to build my own amp and "monitors" for my studio, so when mixing on the turntables we could crank it without ragging my other speakers....

which leads me to the topic at hand.

I use krk V6 and S10 sub.

actually Guitar Center "accidentally" gave ne 3 V6's when I got them, manager said "hey dumb *****, the V6's only come one to a box, go grab another box out of the back" (sales guy runs, gets other box and they load it all in my car. I drive away, and reach over to "adjust" one of the boxes and think "this is ONE speaker!!! It weights like 80 pounds!!!

I get home grab the boxes, and right away knew that they had given me AT LEAST three speakers.... Sure enough open the heavy box, has 2. Other box has one.

Funny thing though.

THe sales guy had been my hook up at GC for about a year. I sold him Mac stuff at cost he did the same for me.

He was quitting when I got the speakers, b/c the manager always treated him like crap.

He KNEW that the one box had 2 in it b/c he had ordered them direct for me (only had 1 in stock) and when manager called him dumbass, he said he went right in the back and grabbed the other box "just like my dumbass manager said to do"

oh yeah, he sold me a pair for 620 bucks.... three speakers for 210 each !!! Got the sub later for 580.

Whoa. Stoner digression... SORRY Where was i? oh yeah.

krk V6 and S10 sub. use the third V6 as a backup, and to monitor the turntables...

use sony dj 700 headphones (make house music, and everyone has these, me too and am familiar with the sound, plus use them to spin)

some altec lansing CPU speakers.

a magnavox boom box.

my Harmon Kardon AVR 85 (old school dope as hell) with infinity speakers and infinity sub.

Stock vw cd player in new gti (with bazooka tube)

and.... I think you get the point. we all use everything we can get our hands on to monitor.

Two most important things in choosing monitors.

1)get something that is as close to flat as possible

2) learn your monitors

I used to rag on events and a few other monitors, but I recently have been working with a frend who has events, and it just comes down to knowing how what you are using translates.