Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-20-2003, 10:02 AM

Default DSP farm vs Mix farm card???

Hi guys what is the difference between those two,besides the fact that DSP farm has 4 vs 6 on Mix farm card DSP chips???Are they different type of chips???I have Mix core setup and i'm working with small sesions 24-26 tracks the most,and i need to add more DSP power to the system for plugins,since the older DSP farms are 3-4 times cheaper,is that the way to go in my case???Will all the Mix compatible plugins work well with it???Thanks !!!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: DSP farm vs Mix farm card???

what is the difference between those two,besides the fact that DSP farm has 4 vs 6 on Mix farm card DSP chips??
Are they different type of chips??

>yes. i can't spout the specifics, but 2 or 3 different types of chips on the MIX. MIX chips are also 2-3 times more powerful. so roughly 2-3 dsp farm chips= 1 MIX chip, depending on the plug-in.

I have Mix core setup and i'm working with small sesions 24-26 tracks the most,and i need to add more DSP power to the system for plugins,since the older DSP farms are 3-4 times cheaper,is that the way to go in my case???

>if you have enough slots to add a MIX Farm also sometime, i'd say definitely. still, for the money the farm is a great addition for some more dsp flexibility.

Will all the Mix compatible plugins work well with it???

>NO. ex. Reverb One, Virus, Echo Farm, Long Delay, Waves Delays, and some others, won't work on the dsp farm. however, if you can fit your uses of such plugs on the MIX, any other plugs get bounced to the farm.

overall, if you can live with just a farm for now, you'll be able to add on a MIX Farm much cheaper eventually- who knows how soon. maybe a year or so? it has to happen some time.

for more info check out the plug-in charts and answerbase on digidesign.com or search this board.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:32 PM

lexiverb and TC reverb will do fine with a dsp farm chip. TC Mega Reverb and TC MAster X will go to the mix card chips.
why don´t ya go RTAS also?

Are the DSP FARMs II under $450 already?
Check e-bay!!

Nice weekend
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:47 PM

Thanks guys,i just got the Mix Core last week.How about the Amp farm or the McDsp plugins.I guess i should just save some money for a Mix Farm card.Something about RTAS on TDM platform - why can't i have a active RTAS plugins while record enable,or on a aux track???Do i do something wrong or that the way it is???Thanky you guys for your time???
Old 06-21-2003, 01:15 AM

I got an extra dsp-farm cheap. Very good value for plugs like lexiverb. I would save the money for later.

GS
Old 06-21-2003, 07:44 AM

Valeri,

I'm in the same boat as you, running Mix Core. Would love to get a Mix Farm, but the cost of a Mix Farm is almost as much as I've seen some HD cards. Can't work it out myself!

Anyway, you can't record through RTAS plugs, don't know about LE haven't tried it, but on TDM you just can't. Samewith Aux tracks which is a real pain, because I'd love to be able to get a few RTAS Analog Channels on the Aux's.

I debated getting a DSP Farm but thought I'd be better saving the cash, being a bit more efficient with my recording and mixing techniques (i.e. bouncing stuff) and either getting HD ina year or two or getting a cheaper (hopefully) MIX Farm. I just can't justify buying older technology. It will be worth nil in a few years.

Kama
Old 06-21-2003, 07:45 AM

Valeri,

I'm in the same boat as you, running Mix Core. Would love to get a Mix Farm, but the cost of a Mix Farm is almost as much as I've seen some HD cards. Can't work it out myself!

Anyway, you can't record through RTAS plugs, don't know about LE haven't tried it, but on TDM you just can't. Samewith Aux tracks which is a real pain, because I'd love to be able to get a few RTAS Analog Channels on the Aux's.

I debated getting a DSP Farm but thought I'd be better saving the cash, being a bit more efficient with my recording and mixing techniques (i.e. bouncing stuff) and either getting HD ina year or two or getting a cheaper (hopefully) MIX Farm. I just can't justify buying older technology. It will be worth nil in a few years.

Kama
Old 06-21-2003, 09:04 PM

If you don't have the cash for a mix farm the dsp farms are a great bang for the buck each chip can handle a lexiverb or a megaverb or a dverb. also mcdsp stuff works on them as does a lot of the waves stuff. its also a good spillover for the mixer or the digirack plugs, i think even ampfarm will work on them.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:28 AM

This will answer your questions.