Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Keeping the old and installing the new

It must be my many years installing new versions of Photoshop, but why can't I keep version 7.4 and install 8.0 in a different folder? PS simply creates a new folder and subfolders for each version, so while working in the previous version one can also start using the new version. Is there a reason to not have both versions of PT LE installed? Is there a way to do so?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Keeping the old and installing the new

What I have done, (at Shanes excellent advice), is to buy anothr harddrive just for PTLE8. I formatted the drive and put a brand-new install of WinXP SP3 on it with nothing else. Since I use separate operating and recording drives, my projects all remain in the same place regardless of which system I use.

When I get v8 I will install to the new drive and use it. If I ever need to go back to v7.4, I just swap plugs on the drives and start the computer. Simple as pie.

Once I am satisfied that v8 is working as promised, I may choose to wipe the old drive and use it for somethng else.. but probably not

All of this is for my system which is only used for recording and midi editing. I use my laptop for all my day to day stuff...

The cleaner your system, the better.

Peace! and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Is there enough room/connections, in your tower to have both hard drives hooked up at the same time? If so I would just create a Dual Boot this way you can more easily go back and forth between the 2 installs. I do pretty much the same thing but with 1 hard drive partitioned as 2 drives. I have Vista Home Premium on the one partition, and XP Pro SP2 on the 2nd partition.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM

danander11 how would i exactly do that?? i have an extra hard drive that i haven't used yet and i want to keep 7.4 when i upgrade to 8.0. how would i install the service pack 3 on that drive??
Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef View Post
danander11 how would i exactly do that?? i have an extra hard drive that i haven't used yet and i want to keep 7.4 when i upgrade to 8.0. how would i install the service pack 3 on that drive??
You know, I have SP3 on disc from Microsoft and didn't install it because there are a wide number of issues, including USB problems. If I was going to use a second drive just for LE 8, I'd only install SP2.

But, more importantly, I already have two hard drives, all being used, so this solution isn't going to happen. I've thought about renaming the current version's folder and then going into the registry to make changes to the path, but I wonder if the default folder name isn't hard coded into places other than the registry.

What I really want to know is if I could just install version 8 into a Common Files folder within a Program Files folder on another drive other than C:.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 PM

I guess that it's all in what you want... there are many avenues. Since I use the recording computer for recording only, I have nothing installed on it except WinXP, PTLE8, Quicktime, and Adobe Reader.

Changing drives for me is not an issue. Both are installed in and all I have to do is open the door and swap two cables. Takes about 1 minute all up. And since it's not something I have done or will do often, it's negligible.

At the end of the day, I just want a rock-solid recording platform.., so this suggestion works perfectly for me.

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I guess that it's all in what you want... there are many avenues. Since I use the recording computer for recording only, I have nothing installed on it except WinXP, PTLE8, Quicktime, and Adobe Reader.

Changing drives for me is not an issue. Both are installed in and all I have to do is open the door and swap two cables. Takes about 1 minute all up. And since it's not something I have done or will do often, it's negligible.

At the end of the day, I just want a rock-solid recording platform.., so this suggestion works perfectly for me.

I guess if your case is very easy to open it's no problem at all.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 AM

I myself use Partition Manager and OS selector in Acronis Disk Director. I have a multiboot Frankenstein. I have XP & PT 7.3, XP & 7.4, XP & 8.0 and a few other partitions. I also highly recommend Acronis True Image to create a disk image of your operating system without PT installed. All the time there is a new upgrade, I restore my system and do a clean install of PT. Less headache.

I've been going back and forth between 7.4 and 8.0 by booting into it's own partition.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-23-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I myself use Partition Manager and OS selector in Acronis Disk Director. I have a multiboot Frankenstein. I have XP & PT 7.3, XP & 7.4, XP & 8.0 and a few other partitions. I also highly recommend Acronis True Image to create a disk image of your operating system without PT installed. All the time there is a new upgrade, I restore my system and do a clean install of PT. Less headache.

I've been going back and forth between 7.4 and 8.0 by booting into it's own partition.

Shane
I should be brave and just partition and boot.. but I'm a chicken... of the 11 herbs and spices variety..

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 AM

"...You know, I have SP3 on disc from Microsoft and didn't install it because there are a wide number of issues, including USB problems..."

Really? Is that true? I have SP3 and run a USB hard-drive with Pro Tools 7.4cs7 for my audio. I have not had any issues with USB. Has anyone else?
I don't have PT8 as yet but am in the process of doing so. I just wanted to clear up the SP3 thing. I've not had issues with it as yet at all... Why the drama? I don't get it.