Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 02:36 PM

Default CPU Limit

I have a Mbox and a 1.6Ghz G5, and when I'm playing a session with some tracks and a couple of RTAS I get a warning that the CPU is holding off, and it tells me to increase the HW buffer size or to delete some RTAS or tracks...Now, I've increase the HW buffer size to its fullest, and the CPU limit it's at its highest (85%) and the DAE Playback Buffer's size is at the highest level (Level 8). I've' also tried on the Preference's Operation tab to decrease the Open Ended Record Allocation to Limit To: 20 Minutes. I know I'm not using that many plug-ins or tracks. Could it be because is not a Dual Prossesor? Does anyone know what's happening here? Let me know and thanks...
Old 06-30-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: CPU Limit

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#653536

you aren't the only person having this problem on the g5 1.6 GHz machine.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:40 AM

well I amnot on G5 but things helped when I acutally REDUCED the CPU Usage to 70% or lower.
so that PT doesn´t take resources from the OS X on single CPUs.

But this may only be true for slower machines.

it´s worth to try anyway.

regs
Old 07-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:
well I amnot on G5 but things helped when I acutally REDUCED the CPU Usage to 70% or lower.
so that PT doesn´t take resources from the OS X on single CPUs.

But this may only be true for slower machines.

it´s worth to try anyway.

regs
Yes, reducing the cpu and increasing the system buffer helps. But, it's still not even close.

I think Pro Tools is just such a beast that if you don't have a dual then forget it.

I like the audio workflow so much that I am planning to try and work through it. It's a shame, because my productivity has dropped while I go on this expensive scavenger hunt to find the right settings.

The plan is to pick up a dual 2.5 and dedicate one of the full procs to Pro Tools. I suspect this may solve the issues.

Part of the problem is expectations of the user (me). After using apps like Ableton and Logic that remain fresh as a picked daisy under very heavy loads, watching the screen redraw come to a grinding halt in Pro Tools on 1/3 the number of tracks and plugs on a state of the art 64-bit machine showcases the inefficiency of their code. But, then again I think their (digi) code "sounds better" so I will play along and keep dumping money into my system. Basically, I want it all: the best audio, the fastest workflow, etc. The G5 1.6 may just be underpowered to deliver that.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:48 AM

I used to use a 1.6 G5 with an Mbox got horrible performance and ive seen other posts about the 1.6 and mbox problem. Read this link my findings on the bottom.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...ev=#Post651922
Old 07-01-2004, 12:21 PM

let me get this straight.

you got better PTLE performance on a g4 laptop than a g5 1.6 GHz machine???

if so, this needs to be documented and brought to digi's attention!

Old 07-01-2004, 08:58 PM

Yeah I know it sounds crazy but true. I couldnt get the G5 to play the Salvation Demo my 867 Mhz powerbook can play it off the internal drive (4200 rpm) and I can add more Dverb. Maybe something was up with my G5 but something was seriously wrong.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 AM

yes. it seems protools is heavily G4 optimized and doesn't fully take advantage of the G5 yet. hopefully digi has already been working on this for a while and the software begins to fly on the G5 until the year's end.

(and hopefully we can buy G5 powerbooks in january...)