Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-13-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Piano micing

I have a fairly large scale session coming this weekend and I believe they are planning on using my piano for a few tracks. I am looking for micing suggestions, as I am not that well versed at recording piano. Here is a picture of the piano placement and model Piano. I could pull the piano away from the wall if I have too but would prefer not.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Piano micing

what kind of mics, etc. do you have available to work with?
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 09-13-2005, 09:58 AM

Here are the available mics:

sm57 (2)
sm58 (2)
MXL 2001
MXL 990
AT 2020
Rode NTK
Rode Nt1-A
PG 81 (2)

Thats about it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 AM

What type of music? Do you know how to remove the bottom door of the piano? Is this an overdub, or is leakage an issue?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 AM

This is for a lounge type act of sorts. Very Sinatra"ish". I am sure I can figure out how to remove the back cover, unless it is more difficult than what I expect. I believe the artist is planning on tracking vocals at the same time for this one to really get a live type feel.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 AM

The bottom door is actually in the front below the keyboard where the player's knees are. Usually there are 2 knob screws or a clip.

Rail
Old 09-13-2005, 10:37 AM

Sounds good. I am assuming you are talking about miking the front then. Would that be in addition to above the strings or instead?

Thanks Rail
Old 09-13-2005, 03:52 PM

Rail

Correct me if i am wrong, but he is gonna want to mic the piano strings probly not too far from where the hammers hit. Usually on uprights you lift the top door which is on a hinge. Once lifted there should be 2 levers on the top left and top right holding the front (side with the keys) panel on. Once these to levers are moved you can remove the whole front panel to reveal the strings and hammers.

I am not a professional piano micer but i would assume you would want to place your mic(s) (2 for a good stereo image) somewhere near this area.

The things to look out for...make sure the piano is in good tune. If not then tune the piano at least a day or two so it can settle.

Secondly make sure you are not getting any unwanted peddle noise. Usually the damper makes a decent amount of noise when miced this way. I know some folks that like the homely sound and others that abhor it. Find out what kind of sound you are looking for.

Do not expect to get a professional grand piano sound from this piano...and again i know folks that perfer the upright sound to a grand.

Oh...and listen intently to what rail says (even over my advice), he knows a little bit about a few things when it comes to recording.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 PM

Where you mic the piano will depend on the instrument and the song. For a rock tune or honky tonk upright.. usually a 57 in the top and highly compressed works well... for a ballad he should experiment with using a large diaphragm condenser under the keyboard (on the bottom up front) and a small diaphragm condenser on the top.

Rail
Old 09-14-2005, 06:15 AM

I will try a few things tonight and let everyone know the outcome. Thanks for all your input.