Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Wet monitor, dry record with splitter

I have a POD X3 that I use for recording when I travel. I use a Pro Tools MBox2 as an interface.

I've heard that many people that want a finished track to have distortion will first record it into the DAW with a dry signal. Then, play the dry signal through an amp and record it with the flexibility to change amp parameters at any time to as many tracks as desired. This is my goal if possible because I can record guitar dry on the road, and cannot take my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb!

Goal: Hear the effects of the POD while recording so it sounds authentic when I'm recording. I want to hear distortion, chorus, etc. while recording.

I use a POD X3 when on the road for business and this is the unit that I would like to hear the effects from, but not have to use this signal as the final recording because I like POD X3 distortion, but my Mesa has more balls and crunch.

Can I use a guitar splitter such as Lehle P-Split II Lehle Gitarrentechnik PURE SOUND - NO NOISE - MORE TONE
that has one splitter output to the POD X3 which outputs to the MBox2 and the other splitter output to the MBox2? This would also record the POD X3 output but that's ok, I just don't want to be totally stuck with the POD X3 tone.

Will the splitter preserve my guitar's tone?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: Wet monitor, dry record with splitter

yeah, that's what the unit boasts it can do. whether or not it preserves guitar tone may be subjective. I mean, you're running it the through to the MBox 2, which is not known to have the best converters, and then sending it out again to your Mesa, or running through software. Point is, the more places it hits in the chain, the more the tone may change.

Is it doable? yes. I know plenty of people who reamp using MBox or 003. If you're down just give it a shot.

Note: if you're sending back out to an amp, or other outboard gear, you may want to invest in a reamp box. Some people say you need it, some people say you don't. Personally, before i got the 11R, i used one with great results.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Wet monitor, dry record with splitter

Which reamp boxes are high quality that don't change tone very much?