Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Question Are PT9 and the 11r GUI “married”?

Here is a valid question about PT9 and the 11 Rack.

If 11r firmware upgrades are tied to Pro Tools upgrades then does the next firmware revision require an upgrade to PT9 just to get the firmware with a GUI? That would be a bad thing since we are talking cascading events here that even effect what OS we use then.

Options:

As many have requested, a standalone GUI would kind of solve this but I’ll bet that since it is so tied to the PT drivers and all that this could cause technical problems similar to having two versions of PT installed at once.

The other option that I can see and I think this would be the best, is to let the 11r guys control their little part of things like a plug in. The 11r window is not a core component of PT. I am not sure how the software is architected but as a developer myself I know it wouldn’t take much more than a DLL and a resource file. (at leat for windows) This would allow the 11r team to ship updates that would just plug into existing installs of PT 8 or 9.

Anyway, the real question is, what is the plan guys? How will we get firmware updates with a usable GUI in the future?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Are PT9 and the 11r GUI “married”?

So far, Firmware updates have been independent of Protools... I know 'cause I've done every firmware upgrade and PT8 is still in the sealed package
Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
So far, Firmware updates have been independent of Protools...
True. And the 11R GUI in PT9 works just as in PT8, "Low Latency", too.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 AM

The Avid guys have already disclosed that any firmware updates to 11R that add new amps or FX would require a Pro Tools update so that the GUI would display the new stuff.

They would not comment if this update would require a major or minor version upgrade.

I've searched the forum for 10 minutes to find the quote, but it's been so long since there's been any mention of feature upgrades, it was too hard for me to find.

Unless their plans have changed (standalone editor), if they ever release new 11R features, you're going to have to update your ProTools version in some way.

They will not come out and tell us if we have to upgrade to ProTools 9 to get new 11R features because they are tight lipped on the whole thing.

All I can say is if I have to pay to upgrade my ProTools and my 11R, that feature upgrade better be AMAZING.

I would find it odd/curious/worrying if Avid walked them into a linkage with ProTools 9, but who knows.

I would've thought there would be no better opportunity to update the GUI and 11R features than to release with ProTools9. But then I'd be bitching about having to buy a dongle too. ;-) (Isn't the 11R a GIGANTIC dongle already)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 PM

The thing is, even if the upgrade is free, by the time you get the dongle and upgrade to PT9 and all you are paying way more than what you should just for a firmware upgrade with a working GUI. They need to solve this problem to compete I would say. We are talking new amps or effects that would require a GUI update in Protools. It just isn't good software architecture.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsman1 View Post
The thing is, even if the upgrade is free, by the time you get the dongle and upgrade to PT9 and all you are paying way more than what you should just for a firmware upgrade with a working GUI.
And PT9 only works on win7 which means i have to:

Buy Win7
Buy PT9
Buy a dongle ()

And that is not cheap. It would take me a couple of months to save up for the lot. So if there is an upgrade in the future and is 'married' to PT9 then it better be mind-blowingly good.

If not, then perhaps ... no, I don't want to think about that until the Avid dev guys actually say something.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post

If not, then perhaps ... no, I don't want to think about that until the Avid dev guys actually say something.
Hey! I know what you are thinking and you better stop it right now. Once you go Orange you..... dammit, nothing rhymes with orange Oh no. i should of said, Once you go Eleven, You're in Heaven

Lets not get to deep in this. Its all speculation right now. For all we know they could release an Independant GUI for the 11R, with some added effects, next month for free....

Dont forget we have something that the other PT users dont...... TheChimp and Chris that would be a good name for a cartoon on AdultSwim or Comedy Central, Tune in tonight for an all NEW Chris and Chimp, Tonight Chris has to explain why he replaced TheChimps guitar strings with fishing line, and we discover why TheChimp has a deadly fear of pickles! I ought to make an episode of this in Flash, but animation takes forever... so i wont

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Dont forget we have something that the other PT users dont...... TheChimp and Chris that would be a good name for a cartoon on AdultSwim or Comedy Central, Tune in tonight for an all NEW Chris and Chimp, Tonight Chris has to explain why he replaced TheChimps guitar strings with fishing line, and we discover why TheChimp has a deadly fear of pickles! I ought to make an episode of this in Flash
Oh no, now you've gone and done it!

Now, I'll be expecting Chris and TheChimp to be after banana stickers .

Real Monkey hateful
Real Monkey hateful

And now I've got that song stuck in my head.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM

You're in too deep there Benoni I'm looking on the cable guide but can't find that show anywhere!

Yes, hopefully the speculation will be replaced with some official facts soon...including future pricing of the unbundled 11R, yada, yada, yada...

Until then, lots of music to make!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Oh no, now you've gone and done it!

Now, I'll be expecting Chris and TheChimp to be after banana stickers .

Real Monkey hateful
Real Monkey hateful

And now I've got that song stuck in my head.

Banana Stickers!!!

habba babba??????

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio