Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Copy/cut/paste and maintain time

Hi,

I am trying to cut out specific parts of a region into an empty track just above it. I want the cut outs to precisely match the timing of the original region I'm cutting out from. Is there a shortcut which would allow me to copy/cut and then paste while preserving the original time (start/end) values? I guess that simply recording the parts I'm interested in cutting out into an empty track will work, but I wonder if there's a faster way to do this.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Copy/cut/paste and maintain time

"P" is up, and ";" is down. Not entirely sure about the down key as I use a norwegian keyboard.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Oh, great. Thank you so much. If you knew how I did for the last two hours you would laugh. The devil is in the details.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 AM

another method sometimes usuable: after cutting, ctrl-drag (start-drag) the clip up/down (or additonally with alt to move a copy)
(p.16 PT shortcuts)
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM

What I do is stay in grid mode, but set the grid size to 1 bar. Then when you move a clip vertically from one track to another it stays at the same place horizontally, unless you move more than a full bar.

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo /Intel Pro 2 Quad Core-rackmount PC
Windows 7 professional 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
M-AUDIO FastTrack ULTRA 8R Interface
Roland RD-300 / Novation XiO Keyboards
Mackie 12 channel Analog Mixer
Adam A8X monitors

Estonia Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://soundcloud.com/dc-choppah
Old 01-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
another method sometimes usuable: after cutting, ctrl-drag (start-drag) the clip up/down (or additonally with alt to move a copy)
(p.16 PT shortcuts)

Also a handy tool for this is the "Hand" tool with the little scissors. If you click and hold the hand tool, you'll see the option with the scissors. (or hit F8 a couple times and it shuffles through the different modes) Now any selection you have made in a region you can 'cut' out of that region by just clicking with the hand scissor tool and dragging. Use it with the cntrl-drag or cntrl-option-drag for super fast editing while maintaining the exact timing.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
What I do is stay in grid mode, but set the grid size to 1 bar. Then when you move a clip vertically from one track to another it stays at the same place horizontally, unless you move more than a full bar.
That work only if the audio begins on the bar. If it doesn't, switch to relative grid by pushing the Grid button a second time, it become purple. That way, the offset with the bars is kept.