Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-29-2008, 06:17 AM

Default Sonnox Oxford Reverb Native VS TDM

I'm thinking of picking up one of those. I see price is almost double for the TDM Version. Is it worth it?
What are the advantages of the TDM over Native, particular for this plug in?
Anybody used them both, or have them both on the same machine?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Sonnox Oxford Reverb Native VS TDM

It's a great plug if you're looking for a clean and transparent reverb that is highly customizable. TDM version naturally has dramatically lower latency so in my book the extra cost is worth it.

That said; I don't use it as much as for example TC VSS3 or Eventide Reverb, but it's still nice to have it available.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Is Latency really an issue with reverb?

I use Waves IR-1 which is only RTAS and it works fine for me.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 AM

RTAS plugs don't have more latency than the TDM versions.
The problem happens when you use them in aux/master channels (or in audio tracks after a tdm plug) because of the streaming from the tdm environment to the cpu and back to the tdm. Therefore in this case the latency depends of how is set the HW buffer in the audio engine. If you set the HW buffer at 256 samples you wll have 512 samples of latency (plus some samples introduced by the plugin itself) that can be well compensated by the ADC set at medium size (1023 samples) but if are running on an old G5 and you want more performance for VI you probably have to set the HW buffer at least at 512. In this case you will have 1024 samples of latency only for the streamings (plus the plugin samples) and especially if you need more comp for inserting other plugs in the chain you will run out of the compensation (medium). You will have to set a higher setting for the ADC that eats more DSPs.
I hope this helps
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 AM

It is only a problem when you do LIVE projects (or have to provide a monitor mix via PT). Generally artists don't accept +10ms latency, so that means 44.1kHz session latency "glass ceiling" would be 440 samples.

Okay, 256 buffer setting is workable. But it's rather close to the limit. I'd rather take TDM-only session that has effectively "zero" latency.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:20 PM

hi everyone, i got a problem in useing RTAS plugins at aux channel.

my delay compensation setting was long (4095),but when the dly count exceed about 3000samples at the aux channel, the charactor will trun red, what's happened in my aux channel???
Old 12-08-2008, 02:22 AM

I have problems with TL space in rtas mode on a aux channel

if I use it in rtas mode I can hear a pre delay I dont hear if I use it in TDM - of course ADC is on in 4096 mode

any idea how I can fix this? anyone using TL space in rtas mode without any problems on a HD rig?

thx
Old 12-08-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachers View Post
hi everyone, i got a problem in useing RTAS plugins at aux channel.

my delay compensation setting was long (4095),but when the dly count exceed about 3000samples at the aux channel, the charactor will trun red, what's happened in my aux channel???
Welcome to the DUC, Preacher.

Instead of the traditional bottle of wine, or tuna casserole (yikes!) allow me to offer two bits of advice, which hopefully will ensure your enjoyment and satisfaction as a DUC member for years to come.

Cross-posting (in various DUC fori) and/or multiple posts about the same question/topic is generally frowned upon. The folks around here are generally very helpful and eager to lend a hand (as I’m sure you’ve discovere by now, since you’ve already received two answers).

Along the same lines, highjacking a thread by changing the subject to something other than what the original writer intended is also considered bad form.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
Welcome to the DUC, Preacher.

Instead of the traditional bottle of wine, or tuna casserole (yikes!) allow me to offer two bits of advice, which hopefully will ensure your enjoyment and satisfaction as a DUC member for years to come.

Cross-posting (in various DUC fori) and/or multiple posts about the same question/topic is generally frowned upon. The folks around here are generally very helpful and eager to lend a hand (as I’m sure you’ve discovere by now, since you’ve already received two answers).

Along the same lines, highjacking a thread by changing the subject to something other than what the original writer intended is also considered bad form.

IHTH.
as you know, i'm new in DUC, thank you for your prompt, i'll never do that~~
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter99 View Post
I have problems with TL space in rtas mode on a aux channel

if I use it in rtas mode I can hear a pre delay I dont hear if I use it in TDM - of course ADC is on in 4096 mode

any idea how I can fix this? anyone using TL space in rtas mode without any problems on a HD rig?

thx
What does the delay compensation stats at the bottom of the Aux report? What is your playback buffer size set to?