Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM

Question Just got my 11R, noisy... huh?

I hope this is just growing pains..... but,

I'm getting a lot of noise from my setup.This is replaceing a POD X3, that was nowhere near as noisy. I've played with the ground lift.
On top of it being noisy, things seem very tinny. I have to think it's me, because everything I hear on the net is way better than what I'm hearing out of my monitors.

I'm not a big user of ProTools, I might go to PT9 here soon now that they've open the doors to everybody. so my current signal chain is this -

GTR > 11R > Presonus FireStudio > Event Powered Monitors = Noisy
GTR > 11R > Event Powered Monitors = Noisy

Software wise , I have all current drivers. Is there some new firmware that addresses this in 11R? wishful thinking huh?

thanks for any help
Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Avid

Default Re: Just got my 11R, noisy... huh?

The most likely cause of this is a sample rate mismatch between your Eleven Rack and the PreSonus. I presume you're connecting them digitally. Make sure the clock settings on both devices are correct.

In Eleven Rack, hold EDIT/BACK for 2 seconds to enter User Options. Scroll to "Digital Clock/Input" and select the appropriate setting.

If the Rack is connected to USB, you'll need to make these adjustments in the Eleven Rack control panel on your PC. (Mac > System Prefs)

Best of luck! Keep us posted.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Similar things have come up before you can search here.

Details please.

Compared to what Pod? Was this plugged in the same electrical circuit as the Eleven Rack is?

What sort of noise? 60Hz/120Hz hum, white noise, phasey/comb filter type sound, static?. Is the noise sensitive to you touching the guitar or strings or moving it around? If its 60Hz hum do you have CFD or strip fluorescent lights or CRT monitors nearby. Turn them off and see if things improve.

What sort of guitar? Single wound or humbuckers? Active pickups or passive?

What are the gain settings at all the different stages in the Eleven Rack? There are lots, maybe easier to follow this for a new user using the Eleven Rack control panel in Pro Tools. Are the Rig main volume and amp output levels turned up enough or are you having to crank up the volume too much on the powered monitors? Start with the Eleven Rack main volume at 10, the powered monitor volume turned down and set the amp output "volume" (i.e the amp output volume that's separate from the "volume" knob(s) in the amp sims) in the eleven rack to sound good. Get it started there then you can tweek things to sound better. If this is all completely meaningless crack open the manual. No seriously.

Do you have Eleven Rack expansion pack installed? If so do you have speaker breakup turned off (see the threads here).

Is this present in all Eleven Rack rigs? If not which ones?

If its mains hum suspect everything you do not know is good starting at the low-level signal part of the chain. Try swapping out guitars and cables. - i.e. before the eleven rack. Look at the guitar, its pickups, internal guitar shielding, grounding wires, connector socket, cable, cable plugs. Look for lose joints, loose connectors, corrosion etc.

Also look at the power amp/monitors. Can you plug the guitar into other amps and see if they are noisy. If not noisy on your pod then it may simply be ground loops like you seem to have already tried. Try lifting ground on the powered speakers and Eleven Rack in all different permutations of lifted and non-lifted ground combinations. Unplug any unused cables. Try different cables as much as you can and try to keep them as short as you can and away from power cabling to see if it helps. Check the cables between the eleven rack and the powered speakers.

Darryl
Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Thank you for the replies, helpful suggestions. I think it's a 60hz hum

I did notice, and please excuse my ignorance..... it's obviously a ground problem, where it is I'm still searching but.... here's a clue... when a grab the outside case of my guitar cable at my guitar the hum goes away, when I release it ...it comes back. Cable or ground loop issue....??? Cable would be easy to check I guess.... I'll get back with to you....

thanks again....
Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 PM

tried three different cables with metal housings..... they all behaved the same way....crap! The ground lift does nothing for me..... what's the purpse for that again?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM

The purpose is to give you a button to push that is not actually connected to anything. Its a way of distracting people from an otherwise completely unfulfilled and futile life.

You should be doing the first test without the FireStudio connected at all. Right?

Are you going to the monitor speakers from the Eleven Rack with XLR to XLR cable? Make sure that all three pins on each cable is straight through wired and contiguous (the ground lift on the eleven rack Main outs will open circuit the ground connection on both cables to see if that is the problem). If its an XLR to TRS or similar cable or you are using adapters make sure they are wired correctly and what is supposed to be ground really is etc.

Does the wall outlet(s) your eleven rack and monitor speakers are plugged into have a known good ground? (e.g. does an AC line tester lights up properly).

If its AC hum did you try what I suggested about florescent lights etc. (it could be a florescent light on the same AC circuit in another room in the house causing you problems).

The problem _might_ still be in the guitar. Try swapping that for a quick test if you can.

How about some answers to some of the other questions I asked.

Darryl
Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM

I tried isolating the 11R from everything else.....
- speakers disconnected
- USB diconnected
- nothing else powereded up.

I went into headphones.... and there wasthe hum, touched the casing of the guitar jack..... and it goes away.I didn't have this issue with the POD X3, very strange. The only that has changed is now I have an 11R.

The POD X3 was powered off of a wallwart, and if I'm not mistaken the transformer isolates the ground, I know for a fact that there was no ground pin on the plug, unlike the 11R that does have the standard power connection.

Maybe it's my guitar? I have a Taylor acoustic I'll try to see if I can get a hum out of that.
My electric is a Taylor Classic, with the 3/4" humbuckers.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM

You are experiencing interference. Taylor's website has some great videos that explain what is going on very well. I had the same symptoms, for me it was a combination of a bad ground in my studio and the wiring for my overhead lights. My Taylor electric guitar was the worst offender out of all of my guitars. Taylor also have a fuse in their onboard electronics that might have blown on you, making the problem worse.

Try plugging into different electrical circuits. Try turning off lights, heaters, etc. But definitely take 20 minutes and watch the Taylor videos... They will change the way you think about troubleshooting noise problems.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Mike, thank you. I'll watch them.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Avid

Are you using balanced (TRS) cables on your main outputs? That could be the problem, or you could have a ground loop (that's what the ground lift can eliminate in some cases).

Try plugging things into different outlets, or all into the same outlet, and see if that helps.

Also, keep your guitar away from your computer, monitor, anything with a magnetic field (like the sun, if you ever went there).

Keep us posted....thanks!
P&S Creative Professional
AVID