Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Old TDM Mix Cards on Newer Processors

hi - i jammed a mix core and a mix farm into a q6600 quad dell 390 with 4 gigs of ram, tossed on 6.4.1 - i have not done much with it - but my initial tests prove solid - a dell 390 can be scored on ebay for around $300, or less

all good - hope this helps
Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 AM

Thanks for help Filmusic,

but you wrote, you wanted to test it also in 690? You didnt, or?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 AM

yup that was indeed both my intention and my claim - but you caught me,

I just never got around to trying things with a 690, i even had one sitting ready for experimentation - but, as i really am playing with things that i have zero idea of, with respect to potentially damaging either a card or a computer, i think i may just sit satisfied with the working mix system dell 390 and claim that to be the end of my 'mix' growth

i'll have time in the summer to put all to the test and track a few sessions with the classic mix 390 system - i even snagged a mackie 24 8 to use as my mission control

so hears to yesterday - now where's that calculator...ha ha, as i'm back to using time adjuster on each track...memories....
Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Filmusic,

could you do a performance test with your PT 6.4.1 for me? Could you try to open as many RTAS DVerbs as possible until the CPU gives up? But it should ran under "load" (playback with audiomaterial on tracks with DVerb). This is interesting for me, because my p4 3GHz should theoretically perform better, than q6600, because of use of only 1 cpu by PT 6.4.1. But i have no idea, how much influence the rest of system (FSB, etc) has.

BTW, how can i send PMs on this forum? Dont want to clutter the forum by small stupid questions
Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM

No, I went from a 1 proc to a 6600 and it made a little difference but not much.
On 6.4.1 with mix.
I did extensive testing with process monitor looking at threads too, just hoping
it would do some sort of multiproc. It does to the extent that you can park
and therefor you can give 100% of a core to pt and you can't do that on a single core as the OS is using it.
Again, when you're using TDM for the most part you don't care, but you can still
run tons of RTAS and the system doesn't bog due to cpu issues cause tdm doesn't get sluggy.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 AM

My point exactly, it doesnt matter what you try and do PT will not use 2 cores so getting a quad is not going to gain you anything over a dual,
yes maxing out the first core on PT may be an advantage if the other resources are going to used the second core but as a general rule get the highest clocking and fastest FSB Dual or single core you can and you will be able to run plenty of RTAS plugins.

PT10HD5 PCIX in 64Bit Magma Chassis,
2x192io's + 2x96io's & Legacy io's
Pro Control & Fader Pack
UAD2 Quad, Octo & All Plugins
Black Lion Audio Modified MOTU 24io and 2408MK3 x2
TC Powercore PCI MK2 x2 & Firewire

Softube, Sonnox, Eventide, SSL, McDSP, Waves
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM

The thing with quadcore is for me as follows

With a Quadcore you can run more things beyond PT. I do arrange a lot (drums, percussion, bass, Orchestra, etc., etc.) These requires a lot of sample based VSTi. I do it in Cubase, because MIDI work in PT 6.4.1 is a pain in the ...

And Cubase works well with multicore setup.

Second moment, you can ran Bidule as ReWire, you can also ran a standalone VST-Effects rack parallel to PT with another Interface card and feed it in PT via ADAT. When you have more cores, you have more possibilities. PT on 1 core, VST-Rack on another and ReWire on third (when possible).

All that is a bit complicated and the more easier way is to go completly native with Cubase as single application (lot more convenient and stable). But than i need a new Interface, new IOs, new controller, all the wiring, ....
AND, than i have no PT, that i really like for tracking.

Chris Watkins, what MoBo do you use with q6600 for Mix cards?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM

hi, i can run the plug-in test, but it will be ...later

(sorry to be so late in responding...just getting this now...but I can nail it in about 3 to 4 weeks

backstory
i just came back from asia/bought a house/with a way cool garage/it will take 2 weeks to close the deal and gain entry...so I have to wait until all my gear is released from storage to gain access..set her up..run the test...then report back...whew that's a ton-o-jazz to do - ha ha, but I will (and what the hey - I may get arond to that Dell 690 test that I've been threatening to perform with a MIX core card...and perhaps a farm...or two)

at that point...i'm all yours

I toss on a ton-o-plugs and see how the Q6600 handles the load

again, sorry to be soooo late in responding....ha ha...but I do everything slow (i'm not so bad...just read your post a few minutes ago)

cheers
Stephen
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 AM

No stress Stephen, it can wait. Nothing is burning