How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Severe bug in 12.8 with Kontakt

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0c0p0ps View Post
Hi Jeffro. I got your case email and have uploaded the session files as requested. Hope you get them through OK... I keep getting someone else jump in to the case you setup telling me I have no support plan!
FWIW, I am unable to reproduce this bug on a native system. Someone earlier said there was a difference between HDX and Native on this?

Here's what I did-
1) New session, 48K, 24bit, set to tick based, bars/beats, 120BPM
2) Create one mono Instrument track with Kontakt
3) Load a snare sample into Kontakt
4) In grid mode, write snare hits on each quarter note (manually) for a few bars
5) Assign output of Instrument track to a new Audio track (whose output is assigned to Monitor), record the snare to this track (name it "Snare")
6) Reassign Instrument track to Monitor, play both tracks to make sure they are aligned
7) Insert Maxim on the bounced Snare track (1024 samples latency), Waves L1 on the Kontakt Instrument track (64 samples latency).
8) Assign output of Snare Audio track to a new Stereo Aux track (Drum Bus)
9) Assign Drum Bus to Monitor
10) Play to check sync
11) Assign Kontakt Instrument track's output to the Drum bus, play to check sync
12) Freeze or commit either the Instrument track or the "Snare" audio track

Result - still plays in sync.

Clearly I'm missing a step or something.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Caccavo View Post
FWIW, I am unable to reproduce this bug on a native system. Someone earlier said there was a difference between HDX and Native on this?

Here's what I did-
4) In grid mode, write snare hits on each quarter note (manually) for a few bars
5) Assign output of Instrument track to a new Audio track (whose output is assigned to Monitor), record the snare to this track (name it "Snare")
6) Reassign Instrument track to Monitor, play both tracks to make sure they are aligned
7) Insert Maxim on the bounced Snare track (1024 samples latency), Waves L1 on the Kontakt Instrument track (64 samples latency).
10) Play to check sync
11) Assign Kontakt Instrument track's output to the Drum bus, play to check sync

hi danny, looks like you found the same thing i did (post #10)

cheers and happy 4th .. john
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXLTD View Post
Also, c0c0p0ps: If you can create from scratch a session that would do this as simple as possible, it will help the bug process.

For example, in your situation, maybe print a click track (as a fake "snare") and use maxim or another stock pro tools plugin on the inserts to create delay that ADC would compensate for. Also, maybe a "stock" Kontakt sound that ships with the factory presets in Kontakt.

I really want to help you narrow this down, and if we can demonstrate something easily recreated from scratch with 4 or five tracks total, it will really help our cause.
When I found I had issues with all current and previous mix sessions I tested, I did start with a completely blank session within which I ran test bounce, freeze, commits as I built up my routing and processing into a configuration similar to I would use within a mix.

After finding the point at which Pro Tools failed to correctly compensate the plugin delays for my Kontakt track I then went back to a full mix session and did some tests within that by re-routing the audio / kontakt tracks directly to the main outputs and it immediately compensated correctly. I have sent both session files to Jeffro who is forwarding to the engineering team.

Meanwhile back on 12.7.1 everything compensates perfectly with both my test sessions and any old and new ones I choose to open. No matter which version of Kontakt they were created with - I am on the latest but many of the files I checked even from a few years ago would certainly have been done with older versions of Kontakt and Pro Tools.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:

Here's what I did-
10) Play to check sync

I run my Kontakt over a stereo Aux track and then create separate MIDI tracks routed to it, so this way I can paste my MIDI notes as clips using tab to transient working through the kick, snare, tom tracks to make sure each trigger point is sample accurate. Personal preference for my workflow, but I have been doing for years and never had any issues till now!

Later in the week I should have time to reinstall 12.8 and try and using an instrument track just to see if they work properly, and then narrow this issue down to having the VI over an Aux, then routed to an Aux, against audio tracks.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 AM

People, its not a Kontakt Problem.
PT 12.8 definitive compensate Midi Tracks not correct in offline bounce. online bounce works perfect. offline is unusable.
100% sure.
: (
Old 07-03-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Here's what I did-
10) Play to check sync

I also followed these exact steps and found that everything lined up perfectly for me. I'm using the most current of all softwares. Pro Tools 12.8 HD, Kontakt 5.6.8 and Mac 10.12.5. Interesting.

Blake
Old 07-04-2017, 06:04 AM

When the Midi Clip is on a separate Midi Track and not on the Instrumenttrack, it makes trouble when offline rendering in a session with delay compensation. I think this is a bug in PT 12.8

try this and tell us if this worked for you? I don't think
Old 07-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
When the Midi Clip is on a separate Midi Track and not on the Instrumenttrack, it makes trouble when offline rendering in a session with delay compensation. I think this is a bug in PT 12.8

try this and tell us if this worked for you? I don't think
can you provide us a Session of your that we can test with .. so we can be on the same page with you ???

PM me and we can share via email or dropbox .. as unlike other sites we cannot share those type files directly within the DUC ..

cheers john
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)

Last edited by john1192; 07-04-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 PM

I've tested with Cubase 9 and Kontakt it have the same "issue".

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 07-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
hi gregory, what version of K5 are you running ?? i have stayed on 5.5.2 ..
Kontakt 5.6.6 and then 5.6.8. Some of the libraries I have which are new require the latest version, so I upgraded. I basically fixed the problem with just unplugging the internet from my computer when launching Kontakt either as a standalone or running Protools DAW. Happens on both. It just started happening and I have several composer friend who work at a high level that have experienced this also along with crashes. Seems to work if I just wait to plug in the internet back in after launching. Have no other issues than that long launch of Kontakt like over a minute when launching if for the first time. It's like it checking the libraries or something.. ? Who knows.

G

Protools 2019.6 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid HD IO
Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Mojave 10.14.5, Digital Performer 9.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.6