Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 AM

Default Is It Possible to Take Old Wav File, Find Beats, End Up with New PT Song?

Hello,

I have old .wav files of original music that I did in the 70's-80s. I can easily drag one of those .wav files into PT10. What I would like to do is, while following the tempo of the .wav file, is to record the song in PT10. After the PT10 version is complete, I would remove the imported .wav file.

I have heard of Identify Beat and Beat Detective, however, is what I'm trying to accomplish possible in Pro Tools?

Thank you for any advice,

Tony
Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Is It Possible to Take Old Wav File, Find Beats, End Up with New PT Song?

If I understand correctly, you want to re-record these old songs track by track, using the original for a reference. So yes, all you really need to do is create your tempo map using beat detective, then once you have that set up, you can start re-recording.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Is It Possible to Take Old Wav File, Find Beats, End Up with New PT Song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPT View Post
Hello,

I have old .wav files of original music that I did in the 70's-80s. I can easily drag one of those .wav files into PT10. What I would like to do is, while following the tempo of the .wav file, is to record the song in PT10. After the PT10 version is complete, I would remove the imported .wav file.

I have heard of Identify Beat and Beat Detective, however, is what I'm trying to accomplish possible in Pro Tools?

Thank you for any advice,

Tony
Sure.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 AM

John_Toolbox,

Thanks for your reply. I'll start researching how to create a tempo map using Beat Detective
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 AM

I've done this exact thing with cover songs. There are great tutorials on Recordingrevolution and puremix to show you how to use Beat Detective. I ended up using the Identify beat function more than Beat detective to figure out tempos.

Good luck and have fun.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Hello dr_daw,

Yes, using Beat Detective is going to be a little more difficult than I originally thought. The tempo of the song that I want to map is @124 bpm, however, after a few elementary Beat Detective tries the tempo appears to Beat Detective as @88 bpm.

I will certainly take your advice and checkout Recordingrevolution and www.puremix.net. I assume you meant, http://therecordingrevolution.com.

Lastly, I will also research Identify Beat as you stated.

Thank you,

Tony
Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 PM

Hey Tony,

I found that as well with Beat detective and Identify beat, so unless the song was recorded to a click, it can be tough to nail down the exact tempo. I found the best thing was to select about an 8bar section, check that section, then move to the middle and do the same, so on and so forth. I would then take the average and set my tempo to that. If you're not planning on using anything from the original recording, I wouldn't get too caught up in making it match exactly.

You're right, I meant 'therecordingrevolution'...I just searched on YouTube for finding the tempo of a song. That's where I got the info on 'Identify Beat'.

Good luck, have fun
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Take a look here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEkzbQKGgI
Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 AM

Thank you dr_daw for your additional input, and dave911 for the Youtube link.

I'm sure this will help a great deal.

Tony