Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2018, 05:17 PM

Default Home Studio Audio Interfaces

I'm finding out now, that the Project Mix I/O was one of very few DAWs for the home, that had the built in audio interface. 8 channels.. I didn't realize I was spoiled with so many inputs because the PMIO was my first foray into digital recording. So, that being said, I'm in the market for an audio interface and I guess I'd like to have 4 inputs, and on the backside, two sets of outs so I can connect to monitors or overheads individually.. In reading up, it seems that they're all latency free for the initial recording but then, playing back while recording another track can be an issue. That there was latency in the headphones while trying to record that new track. I really don't want to mortgage the house for this equipment and would love to hear about the experiences of folks here in the Community.. Thanks, Richrdc
Old 01-30-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Home Studio Audio Interfaces

For the simple IO you need, I'd lean toward the Avid Mbox Pro(3rd gen). Not claiming its the "best", but maybe the best for your needs? Why(assuming you have a firewire port or a thunderbolt-equipped Mac)? Mostly because Avid hardware integrates tighter than most 3rd party hardware(most of which use a "go between" software for monitoring and routing). Now if that wouldn't bug you, then take a look at RME, MOTU and Focusrite. And on that note, if you want to track with, and use UAD plugins, then Apollo is really your ONLY option(all other hardware cannot handle UA plugins without a lot of latency). Having said this, how important are control-surface functions(like the PMIO has)? To get that in a single unit, the 003 is still a working interface (unsupported, but many users report it still works fine). Other than that, I would simply look at a control surface to go with whatever interface you choose. Options there:
Behringer X-Touch(spotty reviews with Pro Tools)
Presonus Faderport 8 or 16(covers all the basic wishlist for many)
Artist Mix/Control and/or the Control app on an iPad
The original Faderport is still working dandy here(PT 2018) and while its small and limited, it actually covers several key functions

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2018, 06:41 AM

Really need to know more about the computer you'll be using, how many inputs you need to record at one time and any further expansion you might need in the future. Also, do you need a control surface? Finding an audio interface that also has a built in control surface like the PMIO will be a challenge.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 01-31-2018, 05:55 PM

I guess it's tough to answer general questions because there are so many options.. Capitalism, don't ya just love it? Sorry, went off on a tangent there! I've got a Lenovo laptop, 16GIG ram, i7 Core processing...The Lenovo has one USB3, two USB2s and Ethernet & HDMI ports. I've got a powered USB port with 6 inputs. Don't know where anythings plugging in yet. I'm trying the Qcon Pro X DAW just because it's set up like the 'ol PMIO. Real technical huh? . Don't think the USB3 means much since my Recording & BackUp are USBs that are more than a few years old now. Last thing this here hobbyist needs is the Audio Interface. Thanks for the names Albee.. I've looked into all of those back and forth a few times. The audio, latency is most important. I'm not good enough to be hearing something a couple milliseconds before or after I play. :) Thanks for all your thoughts.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:06 AM

The Qcon Pro X looks good, but is only a control surface, not an audio interface... If you're looking for separate interface and control surface, the Presonus Faderport 8 or 16 look like good control surfaces too. Bang for your buck audio interfaces it's hard to beat Focusrite (personal opinion) although their drivers can be finicky.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 02-01-2018, 04:47 PM

Yes, the Qcon Pro X is the DAW, and now I'm shopping for the Audio Interface. Earlier in the thread, Albee1952 spoke of the Avid Mbox Pro(3rd gen), and if that's a Fire Wire connection, it's not working for me since there's no fire wire on the Lenovo, but I seem to also see an Avid MBox Pro that's USB. I'm curious about latency issues but maybe it's not an issue since this Box has many recommendations out there. It seems that when you're listening through the headphones to a track you just recorded, and your recording the 2nd track, latency could rear it's ugly head. I'm hoping it's not an issue.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Speaking of latency, I came across this. Seems interesting.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CzN9MZ6KWU

Since I don't have a Firewire Connection the Avid MBox Pro (3rd generation) won't work, but this, Avid MBox 3 USB Audio Interface would be a choice. I haven't researched a whole lot yet, but it seems like for my needs, it's pretty nice. I guess it's a few years old.

https://reverb.com/p/avid-mbox-3?gcl...E&hfid=7827668

Last edited by RichrdC; 02-01-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 AM

Avid apparently retired the MBox line altogether according to this article: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...ell-old-friend

QAPLA!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, just hard to follow some of your questions..

DAW = Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic etc.
Interface = Audio I/O
Control Surface = Faders, transport controls etc.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 02-02-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, just hard to follow some of your questions..

DAW = Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic etc.
Interface = Audio I/O
Control Surface = Faders, transport controls etc.

Joel
DAW has/is also used to refer to the whole system (computer/monitor speakers/interfaces/recording software) hence the full wording:
D = Digital
A = Audio
W = Workstation

QAPLA!