How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 PM

Default jBridge NOT working after all

Original post below.
After really pushing this, I have been able to regularly and easily hard crash things.
It seems that jBridge is utilizing Shockwave Flash, and PT9 does NOT like this at all. Push things so that Flash loses step, and the system fries.

Avid, feel free to delete this thread.
What a crappy false alarm.. ah well.
Any other alternative besides VE Pro?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oh, the amusement I got from doing this..
I already purchased jBridge months and months ago. For those who do not know what it is, it is a sweet little utility this guy wrote that allows "wrapping" any VST plug-in so that it will be capable of running in it's own process outside the host app, and it "bridges" 64-bit plug-ins into 32-bit apps... such as.. umm.. PT 9!

Yes, it requires one to use the FXpansion VST2RTAS 2 wrapper as well, but it is working for me with my select few plugins I want..erm, uh.. NEED them to. I am using Superior 2 64-bit to allow surpassing the 4G mark if I desire, and also so I do not have to have S2's memory footprint detract from the (puny) sub-4G allowed by 32-bit. Also, Ivory & Kontakt 4 are 64-bit for me (have not tried K4 yet.. doing that next). Ivory has a nice fully loaded 10 level German D loaded up, and then S2 has a nicely maxed X-drums kit that is doing about 4.1G

Link to pic

Oh- and yes, that is a Steinberg MR816CS running at a 32 sample buffer. Decent firewire unit IMO.

Now the disclaimer!
I do not work for or having any relationship with the jBridge guy, or FXpansion. I also do not claim this will work with any other plugins than what I used. Should, would, could.. caveat emptor as Mike Brady would say. So, dividing by zero MAY be safer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Who needs 64-bit PT9? Not me!

Not to sound rude, but speak for yourself. I want a Native 64-bit Pro Tools running. Pro Tools will have more throughput from working in a 64-bit environment, as well as being able to run off of oddles and noodles of RAM, upcoming 3TB Hard Drives, and being able to run faster. Also, when in a native code, all the plugs will run better and more stable.

Melodyne has already made the jump, So has Logic.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 PM

I agree with M-ManLA. I'd prefer not to have to jump through hoops. No offense.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
Not to sound rude, but speak for yourself. I want a Native 64-bit Pro Tools running. Pro Tools will have more throughput from working in a 64-bit environment, as well as being able to run off of oddles and noodles of RAM, upcoming 3TB Hard Drives, and being able to run faster. Also, when in a native code, all the plugs will run better and more stable.

The problem is, not a lot of other plugs have gone 64 bit, yet. This can make bridging the 32-64 bit gap a bit tricky, as many have experienced with Logic thus far.

I don't really think it's a bad thing for Avid to bide their time with making PT 64-bit. I'd rather it be 64-bit and solid, than be 64-bit and have difficulties with 32-bit plugs. As more companies make the transition, Pro Tools will be 64-bit right on time, methinks.

Until then, there really are many solutions for hosting plugs externally to take advantage of that 64 bit OS.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post

But Pro Tools has not.

In the meantime this looks to be a fairly good work around.

Its about using the tools you have on hand.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 PM

Oh, come on! I was trying to be light-hearted.
The whole point is that it is possible to "make do" FOR NOW with a simple little ~$20 utility. VE Pro is, what, ~$300? Granted, you get more, and it allows one to do a pseudo-VI Rack that does not have to be unloaded every session.

There are things that need to occur for what you guys want to be a reality; PT 9 HD Native has the 64-bit F mixer; RTAS remains at 32-bit F, hence process points are 32-bit F in it. Even if they put out a new RTAS spec.. RTAS2, for instance, and (like VST3) allowed for 64-bit plugins, we would still be dealing with integrated processes.. NOT cool if a VI crashes! If done, say, ala Reaper.. where one can opt to launch any plug-in as integrated or separate.. then it would be quite awesome. To have the plug-in GUI behave as it does now with RTAS, even if a separate process? Priceless.

Give me that, better integration of Melodyne, and lyric tracks + TAB, and I would be oh so very happy
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
The problem is, not a lot of other plugs have gone 64 bit, yet. This can make bridging the 32-64 bit gap a bit tricky, as many have experienced with Logic thus far.

I don't really think it's a bad thing for Avid to bide their time with making PT 64-bit. I'd rather it be 64-bit and solid, than be 64-bit and have difficulties with 32-bit plugs. As more companies make the transition, Pro Tools will be 64-bit right on time, methinks.

Until then, there really are many solutions for hosting plugs externally to take advantage of that 64 bit OS.
Agreed. I want everything 64-Bit. Trust me it isn't just Pro Tools. After working with Windows 7 in 64-Bit, I don't know how I have went this long without it. Oh I know, because of my software. I do agree everyone needs to get away from coding in 32-bit. Software companies are notorious for lagging sometimes. We do want something before Intel and Microsoft start talking about 128-Bit and Atomic Processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
But Pro Tools has not.

In the meantime this looks to be a fairly good work around.

Its about using the tools you have on hand.
I'm not saying it is, and I know about what tools you have, but I rather have everything just running native in 64-Bit, especially RTAS plugs. Logic is having that problem right now. All Software manufactures will have to start doing this. If we complain enough, they will do it. Trust me, companies don't forget about the people that pays their bills, and Avid is the perfect example about a company paying attention to their customers.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Anything that you unload out of PT's RAM space is going to help things a bit.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Question Re: jBridge NOT working after all

Quote:
Original post below.
After really pushing this, I have been able to regularly and easily hard crash things.
It seems that jBridge is utilizing Shockwave Flash, and PT9 does NOT like this at all. Push things so that Flash loses step, and the system fries.

Avid, feel free to delete this thread.
What a crappy false alarm.. ah well.
Any other alternative besides VE Pro?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oh, the amusement I got from doing this..
I already purchased jBridge months and months ago. For those who do not know what it is, it is a sweet little utility this guy wrote that allows "wrapping" any VST plug-in so that it will be capable of running in it's own process outside the host app, and it "bridges" 64-bit plug-ins into 32-bit apps... such as.. umm.. PT 9!

Yes, it requires one to use the FXpansion VST2RTAS 2 wrapper as well, but it is working for me with my select few plugins I want..erm, uh.. NEED them to. I am using Superior 2 64-bit to allow surpassing the 4G mark if I desire, and also so I do not have to have S2's memory footprint detract from the (puny) sub-4G allowed by 32-bit. Also, Ivory & Kontakt 4 are 64-bit for me (have not tried K4 yet.. doing that next). Ivory has a nice fully loaded 10 level German D loaded up, and then S2 has a nicely maxed X-drums kit that is doing about 4.1G

Link to pic

Oh- and yes, that is a Steinberg MR816CS running at a 32 sample buffer. Decent firewire unit IMO.

Now the disclaimer!
I do not work for or having any relationship with the jBridge guy, or FXpansion. I also do not claim this will work with any other plugins than what I used. Should, would, could.. caveat emptor as Mike Brady would say. So, dividing by zero MAY be safer...

Please explain to how one would go about using jBridge?......you mention you have to use it in conjunction with Vst wrapper.

Please be so kind and list the steps please?