Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)

Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Pro Tools SE Microphone set up

Hello! I have a question in regards of Microphones in Pro Tools SE.

I currently own Pro Tools SE version 8.0.3 with an M-Audio Producer USB Microphone. I want to upgrade my USB Microphone with a Condenser Microphone. I currently have a MXL 990 Condenser Microphone, a Art Tube MP Studio Preamp with phantom power, and the proper wiring needed to connect to my Mac. It does work when I change the settings in System Preferences for the Mac and works on Garageband (except for the static background noise). I tried the same thing when I open Pro Tools SE, so long as the USB microphone is plugged in. But when I go into Preferences for Pro Tools SE, it will only read the USB Microphone. Is there a trick so that Pro Tools SE will read the Condenser Microphone, or does Pro Tools SE only accept the USB Microphone it came with?

Thank you.

-Trevor Palczynski
M-Audio Producer USB Microphone
MXL 990 Condenser Microphone
Tube MP Studio Art Preamp
Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools SE Microphone set up

Does your condenser mic have an analog to digital convertor? Your studio preamp doesn't have one.

Describe exactly how you have the condenser mic plugged it.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools SE Microphone set up

It does not seem you have any Pro Tools SE compatible audio interface. The USB Mic works with Pro Tools SE because it has a built in ADC/interface and it is one of the few interfaces that the license restricted/crippled Pro Tools SE is designed to work with.

You cannot just use the Mac built-in input with Pro Tools SE. SE is limited to specific MAudio (and other?) interfaces. You need to purchase a suitable interface (that will come bundled with Pro Tools SE when new). Or purchase A a full version of Pro Tools to use the Mac's built-in line input. And/or you might purchase a separate interface with built-in Mic Pre, there are many choices out there including the Mbox series that include Pro Tools (get the Pro version with a full version of Pro Tools).

You can use line-in with any other core-audio compatible DAW (i.e. all of them) on your Mac, e.g. Garage Band.

Darryl