Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Digitranslator

So I have a PTLE rig and just upgraded my PC to a Terra Digital Audio system which is certified for Pro Tools. One of the reasons for me getting a new computer was to handle video tasks. In the last week I have landed an audio post gig working on the pilot of a new travel show.

They brought over the .MOV file as well as the .OMF files. So we import the .MOV and then I import the audio as left and right tracks. They have a few quiet sections where the speaking just changes due to them using a different mic.

I quickly found out that I can't import .OMF files without Digitranslator. I am wondering if this is really all I need. It seems that DV Toolkit is for actual video editing and I am hoping I can just get Digitranslator and get by with that. It's about $300 whereas DV Toolkit is over $1000

any tips or resources on audio post 101 would be great. It's brand new to me

Thanks,
bEN
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Digitranslator

Yes you need Digitranslator to import an OMF. You can try the Digitranslator time limited demo from the installer disks.

Digitranlsator also comes as part of DV Toolkit, along with the ability to have a SMPTE timeline and a few other goodies.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
It seems that DV Toolkit is for actual video editing and I am hoping I can just get Digitranslator and get by with that. It's about $300 whereas DV Toolkit is over $1000

No, it's not for video editing. In addition to other important features, DV Toolkit is required for time code and feet/frames capabilities. You will need it to do serious audio for video/film work.

Having said that, I'm sure somebody will post something different...about how they've managed to develop a post workflow that doesn't depend upon time code. But trust me: you need time code!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It seems that DV Toolkit is for actual video editing and I am hoping I can just get Digitranslator and get by with that. It's about $300 whereas DV Toolkit is over $1000

No, it's not for video editing. In addition to other important features, DV Toolkit is required for time code and feet/frames capabilities. You will need it to do serious audio for video/film work.

Having said that, I'm sure somebody will post something different...about how they've managed to develop a post workflow that doesn't depend upon time code. But trust me: you need time code!
It sounds like you've landed a fairly big job--I'd recommend getting the right tools to do it before you start, and that includes DV ToolKit. It expands what your LE rig can do by more than just OMF import and having TC markings in your edit window.

Philip Perkins
Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM

Ok, it looks like I will have to cough up the cash for dv toolkit. not now though, this gig is paying only $300 for the whole 20 minute pilot. I'm certainly not complaining, on the contrary, I'm rejoicing....however, I am wondering how close this rate is to the rest of the industry?? The producer seemed to imply that this was a small amount. Maybe they will land the gig and hire me for more work so I can flood this forum with ridiculous questions. I have them interested in using some of my original music instead of library stuff in the future, so it may pan out to be a good thing.

cheers
bEN
www.myspace.com/benlong
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 PM

Just curious, what is it exactly that you've been hired to do for $300? Have you done this type of work before?

To answer your question about rates, $300 is on the low side for ONE day of sound editorial (if that's what it is that you are doing).

No offense Ben, as I'm sure you're well-suited for the task, but it's really amazing how often this type of thread shows up. Are there that many producers and filmmakers willing to hire someone with little to no experience to supervise the sound of their shows? I guess the answer is a big yes.

I'm all for doing what it takes to get into the industry. I did plenty of free and $300 jobs, but they were mostly either student films or I assisted on really crappy low budget features that no one has ever seen (and really shouldn't). Taking on a TV pilot episode by yourself is pretty bold. Are you doing the sound design, sound editing, mix, or what? What about Foley and ADR? Where are you planning to mix the show?

BTW, you're music sounds good. I listened to it on MySpace.

Check out Pro Tools for Film, Video, and Multimedia by Ashley Shepherd. It's a bit outdated, but it's a good primer for Pro Tools post sound.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Ok, it looks like I will have to cough up the cash for dv toolkit. not now though, this gig is paying only $300 for the whole 20 minute pilot. I'm certainly not complaining, on the contrary, I'm rejoicing....however, I am wondering how close this rate is to the rest of the industry?? The producer seemed to imply that this was a small amount. Maybe they will land the gig and hire me for more work so I can flood this forum with ridiculous questions. I have them interested in using some of my original music instead of library stuff in the future, so it may pan out to be a good thing.

cheers
bEN
www.myspace.com/benlong
Well, if you can post the OMF I'll be happy to convert it to a PT session for you. A $300,- Gig doesn't warrant spending $1k, IMO.
Email me.

Mark

IMDB Credits
Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:

cheers
bEN
www.myspace.com/benlong
Well, if you can post the OMF I'll be happy to convert it to a PT session for you. A $300,- Gig doesn't warrant spending $1k, IMO.
Email me.

Mark

IMDB Credits
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Ok, it looks like I will have to cough up the cash for dv toolkit. not now though, this gig is paying only $300 for the whole 20 minute pilot.
]

Hey Ben,
This is a typo, right? You forgot a zero!!
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
but it's really amazing how often this type of thread shows up. Are there that many producers and filmmakers willing to hire someone with little to no experience to supervise the sound of their shows? I guess the answer is a big yes.
and then be surprised and complain at how expensive the tools are.......

we have all done stuff for little to no money, but what producers and people new to the game don't realize i that it costs a lot of money to get the tools. but the reason we charge money is because we have expenses, and the "tools getting cheaper" is somewhat of a myth. just try setting up a studio right, with a buildout and video and insurance etc....

the suggestion of someone translating the OMF for you is a good one.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash