Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Convert Mac (LE 5.x) session to PC (LE 6.9) ...

I was sent a project on a firewire drive that was done on Pro Tools for Mac (version 5.x). Unfortunatley, I don't believe that Mac/PC compatibility was enabled when it was saved.

Is it possible to pay someone with a Mac version to convert this for me or am I out of luck? Do the audio files need conversion of some sort as well?

I will be editing this project in PTLE 6.9 - any issues seen with that? It does not have to be compatible with the older version when I'm done.

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Old 08-05-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Convert Mac (LE 5.x) session to PC (LE 6.9) ...

If the session is still on a Mac formatted drive.. then open the session in XP directly off that drive with 6.9 (using MacDrive from www.mediafour.com) and Pro Tools will resave the session as Mac/PC compatible and convert the files if neccessary.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-05-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Convert Mac (LE 5.x) session to PC (LE 6.9) ...

Thanks for the reply Rail!

I figured the formatting issue out last night and used MacDisk to get the files off the drive. I also figured out that I needed to add a .pts extension to the session files to get them to be recognized by PTLE.

Right now I'm able to convert the session file by using the conversion process, but for some reason the audio files are not recognized. Are they some funky format? I've tried the obvious extensions but they won't play in any of my players.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Convert Mac (LE 5.x) session to PC (LE 6.9) ..

In the original session, what type of file was the session set up to write?
.wav aiff sd ?
can you open any of the files in the audio folder with another program? just to see if your pc and deal?

you may need to put the correct suffix on all of the audio file is the audio folder.

As you said in the first post it may be safer to open the sesion on a mac and then do another save session copy making sure the correct boxes are checked. Fed ex is great for that type of stuff.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Convert Mac (LE 5.x) session to PC (LE 6.9) ..

Thanks for everyone's help. For some reason, I was having a lot of difficulty getting my system to recognize those audio files.

I tried adding .sd2, .wav extensions... you name it. But Pro Tools kept saying that the files were unrecognizable.

However, with some research I found Rail's SDII to WAV converter and after converting the files was able to rebuild these sessions.

I had no problems converting the session files but the audio files would not copy nor convert for some reason. Once the session opened it would try to relink but wouldn't do it even if I tried it manually. Not sure what I was doing wrong. It was probably due to the fact that I had already copied off the files to a FAT32 drive and threw off the process. Not sure.

Anyway, I'm back to work. Thanks for the input. ALL HAIL RAIL!!! =)