Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Default Re: 48 Processors!!!! In PT10HD

Hey Guitardom,

I have 32GB's of ram to accompany my dual xeon 12-core CPU's E5-2696V2.
I set P10HD to use 28GB of it and 4GB for Windows 7.
Do you think more ram is required in order for PT to recognize the additional cores?
I guess its possible but I only run a few samplers like Komplete and Trillian Bass, so I dont require too much memory.

Hey Shan and Darryl,

I noticed a huge jump from a 6-core Intel to dual 8-cores.
Thats why I took it one step further, with the dual 12-cores.
It allowed my to do the same exact work and plugin count as before but at twice the sample rate (was 44.1KHz, now 96KHz).
The sample rate increase cut my latencies in half!
I like my mixes, tight!

However, you are right, some plugins don't utilize the multiple core feature.
I still have to be mindful with some plugins, but raw horsepower never hurt anyone!
Besides I do enjoy a good pissing contest with the baddest cpu's available.
It sure beats blowing money on DSP plugins.....

Ill be sure to post the outcome after reformatting over Memorial Day weekend.
Maybe a reformat and a fresh PT install will allow PT to see all the cores available.
The burden of reformatting is worth a shot.

Rob
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Default 48 Processors!!!! In PT10HD

Ah no. You seem to be confusing timeline cache with memory accessible to Pro Tools. As a 32 bit Program Pro Tools 10 and it's plugins can only access 4GB, knock off some for OS specific overhead and you are down to 3GB or so. Pro Tools 11 and it's AAX-64 plugins are 64 bit, a whole different game, and one that was so needed by folks with large sessions.

6 core to 8 cores is one thing but 24 cores across two chips may be a very different scaling regime and there is no way I would just assume any workload kept scaling that far, and I would be cautious about/looking for negative scalability--even if Pro Tools 10 can recognize more cores--if you get it to do so that is just the start of working out if it is helping or hurting your particular workload.

Oh hang on you said dual 8 core? You mean you went from a single 6 core to 2x4=8 or 2x8=16 cores?

It just does not make sense to me that you need this much compute power and are not running out of memory. and you are running memory intensive VIs like Kompkete in that mix as well? And you may be seeing negative scaling where trying to add so many cores just slows things down, you won't know that unless you do careful scaling tests (and that is a different issue/effect than just how an individual plugin scales or does not across cores). Any you might want to be doing things like disabling hyperthreading. At these core/thread counts processor cache contention may be a significant issue--with these SMP/SIMD architectures where memory latency so dominates performance, so you probably want to be careful with simplistic claim that you are "adding raw horsepower". If you want to be a test pilot it is probably best to approach things like that with tests that map out the scaling you are achieving (or not).

And again what exact plugins are you running, how many instances?

But if I was going to do all that work I might be more inclined to at least try it on Pro Tools HD 11. At least there Avid folks are more likely to be able to/interested in helping users push back the bleeding edge of scaling limits.

You have actually checked that the plugins you are using require a purchased upgrade from RTAS to AAX-64? and that would cost $5k?

Darryl
Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Hey Darryl,

I finally get what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
That's my thought, 48 cores needed for plugins...WOW...but only 3gb of ram not an issue??
But i should be able to use most of the 32GB of ram with disk caching at least in PT10HD.

And your right about PT11, I see the potential 11 has to offer.
But it has its drawbacks.
I wont be able to open or import any session data from previous versions, since none of the RTAS plugins will open in PT11.
I have so many plug-in "presets" unsaved.
The only way to access those settings is by opening up old session files (songs).

There are ways around these obstacles but....
many of us have hybrid studios and we keep getting more and more hurdles everyday.
Must I have to bounce everything in life?
The flexibility of changing a plugin setting during the Mastering stage is priceless!
Or tracking last minute vocals during the mastering stage is sick!
I track and mix everything through a desk, sum them and then send my 2-bus to a sweet mastering rack.
And I do this from start to finish with every song.
I understand this is totally stupid.
But its nice to start a new song with a totally loaded session file.
The inspiration flies when it sounds so pumped up.
Id rather crank out inspiration than dick with bouncing stems.
And if necessary trying to fix a bounced stem blows.

I haven't had any weird crashes or glitches from RAM issues.
I had one session running at 74% CPU with dual 8-cores (28-cores used, 4-cores for Win7).
The same session running at 70% CPU with dual 12-cores (32 cores used, 16 cores for Win7).
Im sure if PT10HD could use the additional 16-cores, my CPU load would drop lower.

And it appears Im the first one to attempt it.....
Bring it on!

Thanks guys,
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studio 11-16-13.jpg (68.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onswoll View Post
Hey Darryl,

I finally get what you mean.

But i should be able to use most of the 32GB of ram with disk caching at least in PT10HD.
Very large timeline cache sizes only helps you if your sessions are big enough to use that much cache memory.

You seem to have lots of objections, but you still don't seem to have a good view of the details involved. Yes moving to Pro Tools 11 is a big step, and you need to do your homework and test thigns out, but you get a Pro Tools HD 10/11 bundled license so you do that testing in parallel with your production work.

Quote:
And your right about PT11, I see the potential 11 has to offer.
But it has its drawbacks.
I wont be able to open or import any session data from previous versions, since none of the RTAS plugins will open in PT11.
The plugins will work if you have the corresponding AAX-64 plugins installed in Pro Tools 11. So as I asked before have you actually investigated exactly what plugins upgrades are needed? What if any cost is involved? And again you seem to be avoiding just saying what plugins you are using.

Quote:
I have so many plug-in "presets" unsaved.
Well get yourself organized, current session settings, automation and presets should work across RTAS (and AAX-32) plugins to AAX-64 plugins, with maybe a few hiccups that have been noted on DUC.

Quote:
The only way to access those settings is by opening up old session files (songs).
So? Do that.

----

So on one hand if it ain't broke don't fix it. But if you are trying to push RTAS processing to such a huge extreme then again I'd be probalby trying to move to Pro Tools 11 to do more of that experimenting. And I'd be cautious about checking along the way how things are scaling with either Pro Tools 10 or 11.

Darryl