Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM

Default OMF Import error Assertion Error 4044

I'm trying to import OMF files into PTLE 6.8 with Digitranslator. All the OMF's were from a Windows platform, but were completed the same way, but only ONE OMF works! I'm getting an error "Assertion error in uProtoolsdoc.region.cpp Error Code 4044" if I try to open any of the others. Can anyone help please?

G5 Dual 2.2
OSX.4.3

Thank you!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: OMF Import error Assertion Error 4044

It's worth checking that all of the OMF's were exported with the 'consolidate and embed' option. This is the only way I've got them to work properly. I know that you mentioned that they were all exported in the same way and one of them worked, but check with whoever exported it. I've had OMF's from Avid editors which have referenced the audio in its original location, rather than embedding it in the file: no use whatsoever unless you're running pro tools on the same computer. Also have a look at the file size of the OMF's. If they're only a few k, you know something's wrong. I hope that's of some help.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Thanks Paul, but the average size of the OMF's is just over 1GB each. Should I suggest they try OMF version 1 (old system compatiblity) rather than the more modern OMF2? Any other suggestions?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 AM

I spend a good chunk of time wrestling with Digitranslator. I had the same problem. I was importing OMF files from Sonar 4 on a PC into my dual 1.8. Two of the song loaded up without issues. The otherother nine songs wouldn't load. I got advice from a few people but it was fruitless information.

Then I sat down and calmly just started trying to import the files by selecting one of the options at a time. You know how you have those 4 or 5 menus? I just went through them one by one, trying to import the file by selecting each one at a time.

Seems tedious but it actually only took about 10 minutes.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:48 PM

Could you expand on that a little please? Are you creating a new session, then importing session data from OMF, or Audio Data from OMF? If you could just go a little deeper it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:45 AM

I've found that OMF2.0 is the only export option which actually works. Are you exporting it from Avid? If so, you'll need to export it using the 'AvidLinks' option in the 'file' menu. There's a Digidesign Pro Tools option there, which is the one to use for OMF exports.

When opening OMF's, I tend to do 'file: open' from within pro tools (with no session already open) and just select the OMF file. This then brings up the create new session dialog and should bring up the options for which tracks to include (usually all of them). I normally only use 'Import session data' with OMFs if I'm importing additional tracks to an existing session.