Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Tempo Mapping & Beat Inspector; Retardando Timing

Greetings, I am need of a serious short cut for my task at hand...pleeeeaaase!

- IS there a short cut (I HOPE)?? for mapping the tempo of an external metronome to Pro Tools??

Here is the problem... the foundation of some recordings I am working on, were done withe a Korg M3 metronome and the timing is actually off, and retardando (even more chaotic than steadily slow down) (good job korg). I have to MANUALLY punch in every beat in beat inspector, AAAAARGH! Im getting dizzy and wasting lots of time and have more tracks like this.

Why did I use the keyboard metronome? because it was a convenient work flow thing at some sessions I had were the keyboard contained musical content with the metronome. A foundation rhythm section to go with the metronome. I thought the tempi would simply match up, as it doesnt match up with Logic Pro either so I know it's Korgs problem.

ok, one more question (of same relevance) if you got this far and willing...

Can I print tracks off of the keyboard (wich are off and retardando) to match pro tools tempo properly? Maybe set the keyboard to external and connect via usb to computer??? how to connect and route through PT??

Last edited by Lionzeye; 12-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Tempo Mapping & Beat Inspector; Retardando Timing

One way is to record the audio from the keyboard into PT, and then use Identify Beat. Define the first downbeat transient as, say, bar 10. Then count along in chunks of 8 bars, and define the next downbeat as bar 18, and so on.

You can also use Beat Detective to generate Bar|Beat markers. Just make sure that the captured selection in BD matches up with the file.

Regardless of method, it takes a little while to make sure that the tempo map accurately fits the audio.

Also, if the keyboard parts doesn't contain clear percussive "sync points", you could record a pass with the metronome included from the Korg, then a second pass without the metronome. Sync those two passes, and then use Identify Beat or Beat Detective to create a tempo map.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Tempo Mapping & Beat Inspector; Retardando Timing

Ok, I tried beat inspector punching in segments of bars as you mentioned, but because of the of the slowing down of the tempo (retardando) on the Korg, maybe, not sure, each beat is off in between the "edit points".

Beat inspector does not account for retardando, which I also read in an article. But instead of bars I am manually punching in every tick...tock tick tock on my clock loL

I have never had to use beat detective yet, but I should give it a shot now!!

I have always preferred all editing on regions done by hand any kind of region editing as it allows for more personal fine tuning. But this takes a long time, and there MUST be a quik fix.

Quote:
Also, if the keyboard parts doesn't contain clear percussive "sync points", you could record a pass with the metronome included from the Korg, then a second pass without the metronome. Sync those two passes, and then use Identify Beat or Beat Detective to create a tempo map.
I actually record live w drums, guitz, and keys, with the korg metronome running with a piano rhythm track as well, thats were I started with some of my recordings. So now that I have the metronome on a scratch track to fallow I can sync up the grid on PT with the metronome that was printed into pro tools in the session from the korg, so I am good to go. I will give beat det. a go and if not just beat insp. each beat instead of bar. Thanks