Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Default Xpand2, Vacuum, etc. on 10.3.7 (with 11.0.2 installed)

OK, I've got 11.0.2 installed and working to my initial satisfaction, and 10.3.7 installed and working. But when I went to install the instrument pack for 10.3.7 (Avid_Virtual_Instruments_10_Installer_73466) it said that a later version was already installed and I'd have to remove it first. I figured that just meant the 11.x instruments were compatible with 10.3.7, so I didn't install them.

But when I loaded an old session with Xpand2 and Vacuum into 10.3.7, it said "they could not be found in the plug-ins folder".

I'm guessing I need to uninstall the 11.x instruments, install the 10.x instruments, and then reinstall the 11.x instruments. Just wanted to check here before I did all that.

I really, really wish Avid would publish a simple step-by-step for this - so many people seem so confused as to how to install the latest version of both 10 and 11 and what order things need to be installed in...

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Xpand2, Vacuum, etc. on 10.3.7 (with 11.0.2 installed)

From what Ive heard its a file location change... Wish I could tell you exactly what to do... Can you find the PT 10 plugin folders and see if your xpand, etc are in the folder? It may have just installed the PT 11 files to the 11 folder, which is in a different location so you can run 10 and 11 on the same computer.

This may help:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Tools-install
Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 AM

Correct, I had this happen to me recently while trying to install 11 first before 10. Just uninstall the v11 pack and then install v10 first, after you can install v11instruments pack.

The process I do for co-installing is:

Pro Tools 10
AIR Instruments Pack V10
Pro Tools 11
AIR Instruments Pack V11

Although some say that the order in which you install Pro Tools does not matter, I feel this order ensures complete compatibility
Old 12-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatamas View Post
Correct, I had this happen to me recently while trying to install 11 first before 10. Just uninstall the v11 pack and then install v10 first, after you can install v11instruments pack.
O
M
G

I just tried uninstalling the V11 pack then installing V10. It still said I had a later version installed that I needed to uninstall first.

So then I uninstalled all of V11 and V10 (kept my 003 driver - maybe that was a mistake), reinstalled PT10, then I got the same "a later version is already installed" error when I tried to install the V10 instrument pack.

Holy CRAP!

Now I'm going to uninstall everything (again), including the driver this time, and then maybe go through the registry deleting any Avid entries I find.

I install software all the time and I have to say that, since I started with PT5, I have never had an easy or a pleasant time installing Pro Tools. Very impressive.

I still like Pro Tools once I finally do get it installed, though. Maybe I should think of the installation process as some sort of a bonus video game I get with every upgrade.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM

"Try the suggestions on page 10 :
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v90_70160.pdf

On Mac it is a manual uninstall / on windows you go through a remove programs procedure in the control panels."
Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM

OK, well the problem was not all Avid's fault. I was uninstalling all the "Avid..." files, thinking the instruments were the "Avid Effects" installations. I didn't notice the "AIR Creative Collection" well above it, so I didn't uninstall it. If they'd called it "Avid AIR Creative Collection" I would have seen it. In 10.x it was called "Avid Virtual Instruments" - I wouldn't have missed that.

Anyway, it's all working well now. Thanks for the help, guatamas and Jason!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Yes they seemed to have made the install process a headache with having to download all the additional installers instead of them being included in the Main PT installer.... I understand its due to some kind of 4GB installer size limitation (probably for downloading purposes) but its still a pain.

Glad your back up and rolling.