Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Default Which PT?

Hello all. Still trying to get back up and running in my home studio that has been idle for a long time.

Looking to get an Apollo 8P, maybe latest gen.......and use my mid-2014 MacBook Pro Retina 2.8Ghz i7, 16MB memory....High Sierra 10.13.6.....with Pro Tools.

Is this enough computer? I don't need a 100 tracks and same plug in's......but I also don't want to get choked out like before with less than 10 tracks or so and 2-3 virtual instruments and a few plug in's. If even that. It was ridiculous.

Currently I only have PT 10, which from what I see will not run on High Sierra.

What are my options? Can you only buy non-physical PT now.....a subscription service? What is it like? When I look at the questions being asked on the 2019 and 2020 sub forums......seems like there are a lot of issues......or am I wrong?

My goal is to be able to record say at least 16-24 audio tracks, perhaps 2-3 virtual instrument tracks and the typical plug in's one uses. (Not considering the UAD plugin's yet but they will help with DSP)

Thanks.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Which PT?

Find a dealer that sells you a "reinstatement" (of support and update plan)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:56 PM

Cool.....never heard of that. Will check out the Sam Ash and Guitar center near my house. Then what......am I going for the latest PT?

Thank you JFreak.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 PM

This is what you want. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

Not subscription or the $99 renewal etc

If you have a perpetual license you wanna keep that if you dont renew next year so a reinstatement plan 1 yr is what you want.

Ask the dealers close to you if they have a REINSTATEMENT Plan and nothing else.

Best of Luck and remember Avid stopped reinstatement plans 2019.12.31 so there are no more for delivery but some have a few left like the one I linked to and if you wait too long it might be sold out too.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-04-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
This is what you want. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

Not subscription or the $99 renewal etc

If you have a perpetual license you wanna keep that if you dont renew next year so a reinstatement plan 1 yr is what you want.

Ask the dealers close to you if they have a REINSTATEMENT Plan and nothing else.

Best of Luck and remember Avid stopped reinstatement plans 2019.12.31 so there are no more for delivery but some have a few left like the one I linked to and if you wait too long it might be sold out too.
Seconded but - I would stay away from the salesdroids at GC and Sam Ash as they are clueless for the most part. Also keep in mind that they may not even be open as I doubt the Governor considers them essential businesses. I know my local GC over in Pennsy is closed by edict for the duration.

QAPLA!
Old 04-04-2020, 03:41 PM

I totally forgot about the stores being closed. Duh!!

Yes on the sales droids @ GC and SA........completely lacking in the level of knowledge one would like.

Ok......thank you all.......however, I'm unsure still about something...sorry to be lame.

I have never owned a subscription plan.......so can I even do a reinstatement? Isn't that for people who once had the subscription and let it lapse........ I don't see how it helps me.

All I have right now is PT 10....which I got to by way of upgrading from the Complete Producers Toolkit. Originally it was installed from a disc going back to Digi001......then the 002R. Now I'm looking to get the UA Apollo 8P.

So.....do I still need to get this from Sweetwater? Definitely a decent price point and I can go right now.....I just want to make sure I have all my ducks lined up. Is it a sort of crossgrade from the physical version to the version that resides at Avid and I pay for the use of it each year?

Also.....once installed, do I need the internet to run PT? I would prefer to not have active internet in my studio. If I need a download or something I can just come in the house and get it.

Sorry guys....I've been away for a while and things have changed a lot. I totally appreciate the help.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 04-04-2020, 03:46 PM

Don't get confused. Things have changed since PT10 times when they sold "upgrades". That is a thing from the past.

Avid sells subscriptions for people who want to rent PT and obviously PT stops working when you stop paying. This is what "subsctiption" model means.

Avid also sells permanent licenses, which they call "perpetual". With a new license you also get 12 month "support and update plan" and during that time you can update to current version. You need to renew the support plan to keep getting updates.

Now if your support plan has lapsed, it needs to be "reinstated". This also means if you have old license without support plan, the "reinstatement" is the magic word to get your license "upgraded".

Only problem is Avid stopped selling reinstatements last year so you need to find a dealer that still has old stock.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:18 PM

Okay cool thanks for clearing that up for me. I just bought it. Thanks to everyone for the heads up on that. Much appreciated.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along and it REALLY helps to know there are good folks out there on this forum who are willing to offer advice and tips etc.

Thank you JFreak.

Last edited by L-Dogg; 04-04-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:19 PM

No problem
Old 04-04-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
Okay cool thanks for clearing that up for me. I just bought it. Thanks to everyone for the heads up on that. Much appreciated.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along and it REALLY helps to know there are good folks out there on this forum who are willing to offer advice and tips etc.

Thank you JFreak.
People here will bend over backwards to help someone out if the person asking for help is genuine and willing to do some of their own work. Bring your questions as they pop up. And as always - there's no such thing as TMI (too much information) that can be given when asking for help. Sometimes the littlest of things might be the problem.

QAPLA!