Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-01-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: PT6 is shipping per Digidesign....now where\'s the Core Audio Drivers???

Quote:
Originally posted by audiomiditweaker:
YES and excuse me for not using Protools6! I am on Logic and would never in a million years switch to Prootools software!!

And after discussing this matter with several developers in other forums (OSXAudi etc) I come to the conclusion - no furthermore I ACCUSE Digidesign of holding back the Drivers in order to sell more of Protools6!

I am eager to hear what Digidesign says to this!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I saw your discussion on OSXAUDIO, and your argument makes sense, but it's wrong. The gist of what you all were saying if remember correctly is that since Mbox, 001, etc. works on OSX now with PT6, they MUST therefore have audio drivers.

This is true. But that DOESN'T at all mean that they have CoreAudio drivers, which is what you need for their hardware to work with different apps.

What Digi has instead done is write Kernel Extensions (found in System/Library/Extensions) which are really low level pieces of code which extend the functionality of the kernel. This is an easy hack to get their stuff to work - bypassing CoreAudio completely - and guarantees that that anything that goes wrong is in their control since they are dealing with stuff at the kernel level.

Writing a CoreAudio driver means conforming to someone elses API (standard) which traditionally is not very digi-like - they like propriatery stuff because they can make it as reliable as they need it without having to deal with other people's potential messes.

CoreAudio - which is I think is great - is VERY new. And Apple took a while to fix on the API. So Digi made the completely understandable choice of developing Pro-Tools only drivers first for OSX. Now they have to work making CoreAudio drivers that are as reliable as their Kernel extensions. This stuff is not trivial! Unix is not like OS9 where you can just grab complete control of the CPU to guaruntee that your sound doesn't drop out - the OS wants all the processes to play nice. So you've gotta figure a way to hog the CPU - that's why the kernel extensions. CoreAudio should do the same thing, without the Hardware vendor worrying about it (digi) but again - it's very new and I'm guessing that Digi is still making sure it's cool. Give them some slack! It's been a long time true, and I am annoyed as well, but I don't go around accusing them of crippling their product. Of COURSE they are going to support ProTools first - it's their software! After they got that stable, then they can worry about ASIO, CoreAudio, etc.

bobby
Old 03-01-2003, 05:17 PM

Default Re: PT6 is shipping per Digidesign....now where\'s the Core Audio Drivers???

I would rather sweep my house with a toothbrush, than get stuck with having to use Logic Audio...for Audio--(Not Midi)...

Logic is the most UN-Logical Audio software on the planet!!!

OK---I am NOT talking about MIDI!!!

The Logic Audio AUDIO--Editing is a Nightmare, and could only be used by UN-Informed--Un-experienced people, that have Never had the complete Ease and Sanity of using ProTools...

OK--Don't take my $.02 personally...Just do not talk about what you obviously could Not understand... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 03-01-2003, 08:04 PM

I too am anxiously awating the core audio drivers, but I agree that everyone should just give them some slack.
Digi is a first rate company and they are vary reasonable with their prices as well. Do you realize that you can get a Pro Tools system (Mbox) for the price of MS office? Actually, I got mine new for less than the standalone price of MS Word. I have gotten the XP software and PT 6 for free since then and have been very happy with all of it.
Just wait, it will get here.
120 gig Maxtor 7200 2 MB Firwire
Old 03-01-2003, 08:08 PM

Oh, BTW. About free speach?? This is a privately run BB and as such you don't have any rights at all. They can deny you because they don't like your style of music. Not that they would, but they could. Free speach means that you can shell out the cash to start your own BB about all of the problems of the audio industry and that is free speech.
120 gig Maxtor 7200 2 MB Firwire
Old 03-01-2003, 08:31 PM

Thanks Boby rullo this makes total sence. I know learned thanks to you guys here how the drivers work! I can now understand why this is such a different task, thanks.

Dalcoz, yeah but I wouldnt want to learn another Sequencer System besides Logic . aint got enough time to do so....
Old 03-01-2003, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by guitates:
I would rather sweep my house with a toothbrush, than get stuck with having to use Logic Audio...for Audio--(Not Midi)...

The Logic Audio AUDIO--Editing is a Nightmare, and could only be used by UN-Informed--Un-experienced people, that have Never had the complete Ease and Sanity of using ProTools...

OK--Don't take my $.02 personally...Just do not talk about what you obviously could Not understand... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can only requte:

"And as far as audio editing in Logic...invariably the comments about how it sucks come from people who don't know how to use Logic, or try to force it to behave like PT. BTDT, RTFM's, got over it"
Old 03-01-2003, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by audiomiditweaker:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by guitates:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can only requote Nostatic:

"And as far as audio editing in Logic...invariably the comments about how it sucks come from people who don't know how to use Logic, or try to force it to behave like PT. BTDT, RTFM's, got over it"
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 03-02-2003, 12:20 AM

YES and excuse me for not using Protools6! I am on Logic and would never in a million years switch to Prootools software!!

And after discussing this matter with several developers in other forums (OSXAudi etc) I come to the conclusion - no furthermore I ACCUSE Digidesign of holding back the Drivers in order to sell more of Protools6!

I am eager to hear what Digidesign says to this!