Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-26-2017, 04:34 PM

Default making playlists for selected clips??

I'm thinking there might be an easier way to do this...

After recording vocals, or anything source, I wind up having takes at various points in the timeline, aside from the takes that occur at the start. I understand how one can select the option to put all takes from the same start time into playlists for comping. What I would like is to also have playlists with all the other punch-in takes throughout the session. Many of these takes get buried on the main playlist and only exist in the clip bin.
What I do now is I put PT in Spot mode and drag the clips into new playlists selecting there original time stamps. I can arrange all these takes in an organized fashion so they they're integrated into the comp process.
It seems there ought to be a way to do this automatically. For example, select all the new punch-in clips for the latest session and have it place them in playlist lanes with they're original time stamp locations.
Make sense??
I'm hoping there's a feature or command for this.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 08:00 PM

Default Re: making playlists for selected clips??

Hmmm, maybe its a work flow issue. When I do multiple playlists, I don't do many punch-ins, if at all, until/unless I have a take(playlist) that I think is the keeper. If that playlist needs a couple of minor fixes, I will usually duplicate it and do punch-ins on the duplicate playlist. I also try to always create a new blank playlist to build the comp on, so that I don't mess with any of the full takes. I know there's many ways to skin this cat, that's what works for me.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Re: making playlists for selected clips??

I just remembered that there is the "match criteria" window. When set to "All" and no track settings, it seems to lay out all takes into playlists from the selected area (in this case the entire track). I still need to Spot them to there Original time stamp and consolidate them wherever possible. But this at least saves one step. I bet there's some creative solution within these parameters. I'm going to keep brainstorming it.

Last edited by Felix; 07-27-2017 at 11:50 AM.