Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 AM

Default Weird tempo map question?

I have imported a a larry carlton tune into Pro tools 12.6 and analyzed and done a pretty detailed tempo map and recorded all my parts to the feel of that tune. it feels great. Just like the tune . The problem is I'm a really bad keyboard player and need to slow the song down to be able to record the Piano parts. But when I slow it down, say by a 1/3, the tunes starts speeding up and slowing down drastically when its following the tempo map... so bad so that you can't even play over it. is there any way to lock the tempo so I can slow it down and then revert the tempo back to the tempo map or print the tempo map. this is very hard to explain. Any Ideas on how to smooth out the tempo so i can slow it down and record the piano and then speed it back up later and it feel the same?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Weird tempo map question?

Deselect the tempo ruler (the little "conductor" icon in the menu bar under the tempo and countoff indicators) and enter a manual tempo, then re-enable after you've recorded your parts.

----------------------------------------
MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex, OS 10.12.6, PT 2018 HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, Avid C24.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:11 PM

I'll give it a try.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:40 AM

how did you ANALYZED the track?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Rich's way is definitely one way to do it. Great thing about Pro Tools is that there are various ways to achieve the same result.

I have another way...

Question... Are the tracks all in Sample Based or Tick Based?

Anytime you're dealing with various tempos across the timeline in Pro Tools, you should be in Tick Based. All tracks.

After you're in Tick mode, then you can slow the song down, speed it up, etc using Elastic Audio. Depending on the content on the track (Piano, drums, etc), you will have to choose the plugin that's on the track. Check out the following link to gain a better understanding on the different plug-in options.

http://en.wikiaudio.org/Pro_Tools:Elastic_audio

In your case I would try using Polyphonic first, if the tune that you've imported consists of drums and music.

Once you go through these steps you should be able to change each tempo point across the timeline and your audio "should" conform to the new tempo changes.

I don't what you mean when you say "print the tempo map or "smooth out the tempo." Are you referring to finding the Mean of all of the tempos and using one tempo? This can be achieved as well. But this will involve some time stretching using Elastic Audio.

Last edited by txm; 04-04-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Additional Info