Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM
frozenintime frozenintime is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29
Default major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

i am just switching to pro tools 10 & 11 after several years with 9.

there is some major delay compensation weirdness going on in my 11.0.2.

(i am also using a new uad apollo after years with an 003 rack).

if i bounce one track to another in PT11 using a bus, the waveforms look perfectly lined up, but play back far off from each other as long as there are plugins being delay compensated somewhere in the session. if i turn off all plugins, the track tracks play in unison.

if i quit the program and open it again, those same two tracks play together perfectly.

i've noticed something similar with plugins: the delay compensation will work fine when i open a session but, after some period of time and some action i'm not aware of, eventually stop working correctly.

none of this happens in PT10.

one odd thing i noticed is that in PT10, the system delay changes when i change hardware buffer size. at 512 samples, the PT10 system delay is 1428.

in PT11, the system delay is always at 2452, no matter where the hardware buffer is.

(maybe delay compensation works on a different principle in PT11, i'm not assuming this accounts for my issues.)

any thoughts on this? i've googled around, but everyone talks about a problem with delay only on aux buses.

thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:10 PM
gives's Avatar
gives gives is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,157
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenintime View Post
i am just switching to pro tools 10 & 11 after several years with 9.

there is some major delay compensation weirdness going on in my 11.0.2.

(i am also using a new uad apollo after years with an 003 rack).

if i bounce one track to another in PT11 using a bus, the waveforms look perfectly lined up, but play back far off from each other as long as there are plugins being delay compensated somewhere in the session. if i turn off all plugins, the track tracks play in unison.

if i quit the program and open it again, those same two tracks play together perfectly.

i've noticed something similar with plugins: the delay compensation will work fine when i open a session but, after some period of time and some action i'm not aware of, eventually stop working correctly.

none of this happens in PT10.

one odd thing i noticed is that in PT10, the system delay changes when i change hardware buffer size. at 512 samples, the PT10 system delay is 1428.

in PT11, the system delay is always at 2452, no matter where the hardware buffer is.

(maybe delay compensation works on a different principle in PT11, i'm not assuming this accounts for my issues.)

any thoughts on this? i've googled around, but everyone talks about a problem with delay only on aux buses.

thanks.
Not sure, but Will test it out. I am running 11.1.2 on my on of my MacPros here.

Did you see this article here? http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...cascading.html

Evidence of the early bug here: http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...-tools-11.html
__________________
Gregory Ives, Composer/Sound Designer/Musician
http://www.gregives.com
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm1170521/?ref_=sch_int

Protools 2019.6 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid HD IO
Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Mojave 10.14.6, Digital Performer 9.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.6

Last edited by gives; 03-04-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: adding some info
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM
gives's Avatar
gives gives is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,157
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenintime View Post
i am just switching to pro tools 10 & 11 after several years with 9.

there is some major delay compensation weirdness going on in my 11.0.2.

(i am also using a new uad apollo after years with an 003 rack).

if i bounce one track to another in PT11 using a bus, the waveforms look perfectly lined up, but play back far off from each other as long as there are plugins being delay compensated somewhere in the session. if i turn off all plugins, the track tracks play in unison.

if i quit the program and open it again, those same two tracks play together perfectly.

i've noticed something similar with plugins: the delay compensation will work fine when i open a session but, after some period of time and some action i'm not aware of, eventually stop working correctly.

none of this happens in PT10.

one odd thing i noticed is that in PT10, the system delay changes when i change hardware buffer size. at 512 samples, the PT10 system delay is 1428.

in PT11, the system delay is always at 2452, no matter where the hardware buffer is.

(maybe delay compensation works on a different principle in PT11, i'm not assuming this accounts for my issues.)

any thoughts on this? i've googled around, but everyone talks about a problem with delay only on aux buses.

thanks.

Check this out.. OR maybe this is what you saw already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIxvpdZ5Rs
__________________
Gregory Ives, Composer/Sound Designer/Musician
http://www.gregives.com
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm1170521/?ref_=sch_int

Protools 2019.6 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid HD IO
Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Mojave 10.14.6, Digital Performer 9.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.6
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM
frozenintime frozenintime is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

hey greg

thanks for the reply!
i have seen those two bits in my googling around, though they don't seem quite related to what's going on with me. i was surprised not to find more about this since i can only assume it's not unique to me?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM
gives's Avatar
gives gives is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,157
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenintime View Post
hey greg

thanks for the reply!
i have seen those two bits in my googling around, though they don't seem quite related to what's going on with me. i was surprised not to find more about this since i can only assume it's not unique to me?

I agree, This is one of the reasons I upgraded to PT11hd to avoid this kind of stuff.. I have a pal who just got his new MacPro Tower..,(Hollow Point Bullet-:),
up and running and we will be mixing some things thru hardware summing over there and will do some tests for sure.. I"ll keep you posted on what i find out. I am ordering a new MacPro for the studio, since my old HD Accel with a 2008 Tower has not Thunderbolt.. I am going Native HD for now since I did not really see a need to go for HDX at this time. I will have the old desk with PT 10.3.8 as a BU system or extra system if all else fails.. Also a good thing to have around for testing too! G
__________________
Gregory Ives, Composer/Sound Designer/Musician
http://www.gregives.com
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm1170521/?ref_=sch_int

Protools 2019.6 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid HD IO
Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Mojave 10.14.6, Digital Performer 9.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.6
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM
frozenintime frozenintime is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

greatly appreciated.

maybe someone out there knows whether PT11's "system delay" is always the same and is not affected by hardware buffer size?

that's the only place i know to start trying to troubleshoot this...

(and i just got a mac mini instead of the new mac pro. first time i haven't had a mac tower since early 00's.)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Pyxis360 Pyxis360 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 26
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

Hello all,

I was running a PT 11 session just fine, I'm sending drums to a pair of distressors, session went great.

Now I'm on a new session, same routing, now when the drums are bussed to the distressors the drums go out of time with the music. Route the drums to the main buss, it's back in time.

major bummer at the moment, can't figure it out, any help?

also, how much is a PT 11 native support phone call?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Stig Eliassen's Avatar
Stig Eliassen Stig Eliassen is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norway @ Studio Varmt & Trangt
Posts: 7,455
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

Quote:
I was running a PT 11 session just fine, I'm sending drums to a pair of distressors, session went great.

Now I'm on a new session, same routing, now when the drums are bussed to the distressors the drums go out of time with the music. Route the drums to the main buss, it's back in time.

major bummer at the moment, can't figure it out, any help?
Have you received session files from elsewhere that might have changed your I/O Setup?

Are the distressors set up as inserts?

Which version of PT 11 is this?
__________________
Studio rig - Pro Tools|HDX 2018.7 | Logic Pro X.4.2 | Avid HD I/O (8x8x8) | 6-core 3.33 Westmere w/24GB RAM | OS 10.12.3 | D-Command ES | Eleven Rack | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
Mobile rig - Macbook Pro i7 w/16GB RAM | UA Apollo 8p | Pro Tools|HD 2018.3 | Logic Pro X.4.2 | OS 10.12.6
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Pyxis360 Pyxis360 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 26
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

Thanks PT Lover for the quick reply, I'm sitting here stressing!

I've saved each song I need to do as a session a few weeks back and now i'm working through each. I'm not sure if this session saved my I/O from the session I just finished that was working.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Pyxis360 Pyxis360 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 26
Default Re: major PT11 delay compensation weirdness.

the distressors are setup in the I/O as both inserts and buss as when I need it. in the session they are not setup as inserts
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delay Compensation Weirdness edit machine Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 11-12-2010 05:41 AM
MAJOR delay compensation problem! Very strange! storm-01 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 42 05-20-2010 12:26 PM
Delay Compensation Weirdness Borg Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 6 02-03-2006 08:49 AM
Audio import - major weirdness - plz help imi 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 09-04-2003 09:28 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com