Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Default CPTK to PT11HD Pricing Proposal for Tony Carridi and Tom Graham

Dear Tony Carridi and Tom Graham:

During the past few weeks there has much debate over how the Complete Production Toolkit ("CPTK") license should be priced with respect to its Pro Tools 10 HD counterpart in the upcoming crossgrade to Pro Tools 11 HD. Even in the NAB Announcement there has been some confusion as to whether the CPTK crossgrade to Pro Tools 11 HD would be available only to "CPTK 2" (and above) licenses or open to all CPTK licenses. While Mr. Graham pointed out that the upgrade would be only for "CPTK 2" licenses, the Avid Support Team commented that it would be inclusive for "CPTK 1" owners as well.

As this has become a heated discussion, may I suggest an alternative that could provide a solution to the debate? Below I have outlined a simple pricing proposal for the CPTK to Pro Tools 11 HD license crossgrade. Hopefully in the weeks to come something similar will be proposed by Avid.

CPTK 1 to Pro Tools 11 HD Crossgrade Price: $999
CPTK 2 (Version 9) to Pro Tools 11 HD Crossgrade Price: $799
CPTK "3" (Version 10) to Pro Tools 11 HD Crossgrade Price: $599.

I only suggest a tiered pricing schedule only because the "CPTK 1" has been out for sometime now and has enjoyed a "free" upgrade over the years of Pro Tools version updates, as well as a very robust plugin software package. "CPTK 2" (Version 9) has been around for a while with a modest plugin software package, whilst the "CPTK '3' / CPTKX" (Version 10) has only been available recently and with no additional software.

I believe that the above pricing suggestion is much in line with Avid's typical upgrade pricing policy when skipping a software generation (i.e. Pro Tools 9 to Pro Tools 11, for example). Also, original "CPTK 1" owners would not be prevented an opportunity to upgrade to Pro Tools 11 HD (as originally feared with Mr. Graham's comment at the NAB conference.) Avid's retailers would also benefit from the above pricing tier since it would help to prevent devaluation of their remaining inventory of CPTK "3" / Version 10 software licenses.

Much of Avid's pricing with the CPTK to 11 HD crossgrade has probably been a direct result of allowing its 10 HD hardware license holders the ability to work on projects outside of a studio while maintaining the same tool set. The CPTK features being built into the HD platform along with secondhand sales of Pro Tools 10 HD licenses sans HD hardware has probably led to the current, overinflated pricing structure for CPTK owners. CPTK owners are flipping the bill for those who bypass the CPTK license by purchasing second hand HD licenses. We're all seeing how illegal software and sales cost legal owners of software money. As a consumer, I don't necessarily approve of how the CPTK is being priced, but from the standpoint of a for-profit corporation, I can understand how it has come to this.

I hope that for the sake of Avid's legitimate customers, that we are not punished for following Avid's rules and policies all this time. The easiest solution to the problem is for Avid to restrict/prevent secondhand HD license sales (without accompanying hardware) at the iLok.com level. It is totally within Avid's right to do so as iLok.com must abide by the wishes of the software publisher.

I know that I might have irked those who've skirted Avid's rules a bit with unsanctioned, secondhand license sales/purchases, but as a law-abiding Avid customer I find it a hard pill to swallow to have my dollars benefit a certain segment of the community that are raising costs for another segment.

I guess in a few minutes we'll know where everyone stands with their licenses. http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 AM

Default Re: CPTK to PT11HD Pricing Proposal for Tony Carridi and Tom Graham

Pretty reasonable proposals to me...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-25-2013, 03:29 AM

CPTK,

I disagree entirely that there should be tiered upgrade pricing depending on when you bought CPTK, for two reason expressed in the 'proper' thread (where I suggest, you SHOULD have posted your comments) ...

1) CPTK was sold as a version independent feature unlocker, and
2) Dig/Avid never provided an upgrade path from '1' to '2' or to your imaginary '3'.

The licences are the same, the only difference back in the days of '1' is that you paid more but got some extra plugin licences thrown in too. Bear in mind that some things people paid a premium for were then cascaded down into plain PT at V9. So CPTK1 owners paid for stuff only to have it become free in PT soon after. For example, Digi-translator was THE main reason I initially bought CPTK, so I had compatibility when moving projects between HD and non-HD rigs. It became standard in V9. Obviously I've grown to love the many other premium features of CPTK since, but that was why I originally got my wallet out.

More importantly, your comments in this thread totally ignore the fact that, over in the proper thread, many people have contributed to build up a strong case for Avid to consider various options, including rescinding the withdrawal of CPTK, as well as suggestions for alternative pricing schemes.

Avid (Tony) has told us that that our comments have been taken note of and that a revised plan will be announced, taking account of the adverse reaction there has been to CPTK's withdrawal.

While you are, of course, perfectly free to post your comments, I completely fail to understand why you would feel it necessary to create a new thread and propose a pricing strategy that takes no account of the extensive discussion that has already occurred on the subject ... discussion, it has to be said, in which you appear to have played little or no part.

What is your agenda?

And Bill ... I could have easily predicted the essence of your comment had I taken the time to consider what it might be ;-)

Finally ... a question for CPTK .... you are new here, joined two days ago (unless this is a new name for someone who has been here previously ... though I don't know why you would do that) ...

Have you even made the effort to read through all the stuff that has already been posted in the main thread on the subject? Or are your comments just made off the top of your head without considering all the discussion that has taken place? Just curious!

Last edited by nigelpry; 04-25-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Question for CPTK
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 AM

I hope your post was meant as a joke as I've never read so much rubbish in a long while.

Tiered upgrades depending on CPTK version?! What about those of us who will have non AAX plug ins which we paid for (as has already been mentioned) and our initial outlay for the DVTK, MPTK & multiple other tool kits which we've had to pay to upgrade to CPTK standard. I'm sure there are a few people who have paid more than $2000 in all that and now you suggest they have to pay MORE than any other CPTK user? Wow.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 AM

Maybe he's one of Bill Denton's new employees, occupying one of the 300+ HDX seats he's bought for his IT geek company?

After all, Bill has told us that he's getting his legs cut off from under him by us CPTK owners .... apparently all that DSP processing power is no match for CPTK user skills ;-0

As confirmed here ...
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...postcount=1106

and here ...
http://duc.avid.com/member.php?u=85514

Last edited by nigelpry; 04-25-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: corrected quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
While you are, of course, perfectly free to post your comments, I completely fail to understand why you would feel it necessary to create a new thread and propose a pricing strategy that takes no account of the extensive discussion that has already occurred on the subject ... discussion, it has to be said, in which you appear to have played little or no part.
^ What Nigel said!

Not sure why CPTK's (and to be fair, Bill's ... although they've never been seen in the same room together) proposal merits its own thread??!! Let's just stick to the main thread before every suggestion spawns its own topic.

Nothing to see here ... move along :)
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 AM

This might sound perfectly reasonable to you as a CPTK 2 or "3" owner, but Avid have never differentiated between CPTK license versions. There is no confusion about whether or not CPTK 1 users will be able to upgrade to HD. It's been said more than once that we can. I bought CPTK as soon as it was available. It was actually an upgrade from my DV Toolkit 2, which I upgraded from my DV Toolkit 1. I've been giving Avid my money for years to be included in the advanced feature set. Is that long term loyalty worth something? I submit that it is, and that "something" is a reasonable upgrade price to HD which will lock me into more expensive upgrades in the future. I will pay for them all because I'm a professional and I NEED those features!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 AM

CPTK,

With respect, after over a thousand posts where people have expressed various opinions, and in some cases reached some level of agreement or consensus, I think your suggestion does not represent the feelings of the majority of CPTK users, myself included.

John
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTK View Post
Dear Tony Carridi and Tom Graham:

During the past few weeks there has much debate over how the Complete Production Toolkit ("CPTK") license should be priced with respect to its Pro Tools 10 HD counterpart in the upcoming crossgrade to Pro Tools 11 HD....
This is the most ridiculous thing I have read regarding this issue, as if the issue doesn't lean to ridiculously complicated already.

Sounds more like a class warfare motivated attempt by someone overly affected with CPTK dongle envy.

A simple $599 cross grade from PT10 to PT11HD via surrender of CPTK asset would be the fairest all around, still steep but fair.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM

I think CPTK won't return....(pun intended)