Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Your Waves Update Plan is About to Expire

I agree with everything that has been said and I will not pay WUP for my Platinum bundle either anymore, and I am phasing out all Waves plugins. But why do they continue with WUP? The answer is simple: because they have done their homework and decided it still makes money for them. So we are not making sufficient impact, too many people still pay WUP. Can we convince enough people not to continue doing that?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Last month I decided to try something I've never done before. I moved most plugins out of the plugin folder and only allowed myself to use the following:

- URS A/N series EQ
- Drawmer Dynamics
- Eventide Reverb
- Focusrite Forte
- Digidesign Impact/Smack
- Massey Limiter
(
That's a great idea.I already have an external drive dedicated to run an image of OSX and PT 7.3 this year.
I'll stored it to reopen project were I had used WAves plugins.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 PM

I rarely post anything to the DUC. I mostly read what's going on with all of you guys. This however is a topic dear to me. So with that.......I post!

I bought IR-1 for my HD system. Loved it at 44.1. Had major issues with it at 88.2 and 96. Strange sounds etc.. I'll not bore all of you with the details of the tech support calls except to say they were in vain. Very frustrating calls that made me feel burned. That coupled with the upgrade plan started to really make my blood boil. I hung in there with it for some time and tolerated it. I would continue to hear story after story, post after post of bad experiences and finally decided there are greener pastures than this. I took the IR-1 out of my system and have decided to never buy another WAVES product again. End of story.

If they want to run their company like they have been doing that's cool. But I will vote with my $$$$$$$$ and buy from companies like Massey or McDSP instead who know how to treat paying customers. There are so many plug in choices now it's overwhelming. Who needs the hassle?

Matt B.
WAVES free since 2006
Old 03-22-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Can we convince enough people not to continue doing that?
As I started with these kind of posts 2 years ago 90% of you were defending Waves and can´t think to mix without it.

Now it´s almost vice versa.

And that´s a good thing.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 PM

Waves lost me as a customer in 2002... The WUP payment for my Platinum Bundle is $700.00 This is about half as much as it would cost me to buy McDSP and Pluggo giving me about 200 plugins, and no mob guys visiting me to break my Balls once a year. I have Altiverb and Sound Toys and a variety of other fine plugins already...

In fact, I have virtually stopped using many of the Waves Plug-ins... The ones that I still use, work perfectly fine... So I have decided to do this... See if this resonates with you...

My G5 Dual 2.0 Mac works fine with all of the plugins and programs and softsynths that I currently own...
It's a very fine recording studio...

So I will spend the $$$ that Waves is trying to extort from me to buy a lightly used G5 computer like the one that I have... Then, I will freeze my system where it is, when it becomes apparent that I cannot follow the various upgrade paths on the machine that I have without spending more $$$ on it...

I will use this machine until it falls apart... I'll do this, because as it stands right now, I can handle any of the music recording/mixing/mastering projects, or Film/TV Post Sound Design projects that come my way with what I have...

When the Old Mac is irretrievable I'll retire it and substitute the one that I will have in mothballs...

George Lucas uses this philosophy... He still has new copies of old 650 Quadras in storage, along with various digital dubbers etc. so that if he has to go back and ressurrect old Star Wars stuff, he can... In fact he has...

I'll buy the latest ProTools LE system and a New G6 or G7 or whatever Mac has in the next few years... Then I can stay up to date on everything much cheaper. I hear that PT LE is getting better sounding than TDM right now and does much more than it used to.

So as processors become more powerful TDM may also be history, (I've read that the new generation of Intel chips can have as many as 16 cores on them) So I won't have an expensive upgrade of the latest ProTools TDM fad is...

This process should be minimally expensive for me, because I can migrate legal copies of much of the software that I have to my new LE system, and upgrade this...

I know that this works, because a friend of mine, who many of you may know his name, but I won't mention it, has done this successfully... Right now he is using a G4 with Pro Tools System 5.3.1 and 192 I/O HD system to remix "Baraka", a film that was made in the 1990's in 5.1. He would have to pay thousands of dollars to update all of the various Dolby surround plug-ins, Waves bundles and other softwares in his system...

He stopped chasing his upgrade tail around in about 2001... We've talked about this process extensively and it seems to be the way to go...

How much better can your audio sound, especially when people seem to be degrading their listening ears with MP3s??? It seems like Audio Professionals are moving forward and everyone else is moving backwards...

I'm going to stop right here with the big expensive purchases and WUPgrades on my main workhorse system, and use it for what it does best. And I'll have a smaller, lighter system, that I can add the latest, coolest, cheapest stuff to, like all of these DJ guys are doing...

And have fun and making music on it...

Then transfer my audio files to the Grandfather system, mix it all down in 12.1 or whatever, and master it all to the new quartz crystal microdisk flashram for the mass market...

Hoooahhh!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 AM

As a student of PR, I am struck with the difference between the chatty, helpful conversation with the folks at Soundtoys at:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...131821#1125863

and the ongoing frustration with Waves. I can only assume that no one from Waves ever reads the DUC.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 03-23-2007, 08:28 AM

Maybe someone should send them (the owners - CEOs of Waves) a copy of this thread.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Another once-frustrated-and-now-happy-and-at-peace-with-letting-go-of-WUP-user here. Have been a user since the late 90's and finally gave up after the I had to pay for SSL's WUP.... I have been happy with other plugs as well and have not missed anything that has to do with WAVES. I finally woke up and started saving the WUP fees to buy other great plugs! So, "Wup, There It Is!"
Blackmagic Multidock, SSDs
iMac Pro
64 GB ram
OS X Mojave
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:48 PM

I too have joined the ranks of those who will not be using Waves once I upgrade my machine/software. I'll have to admit that I really like the L1, L2, C4, and RenVerb, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the whole purchase price all over again once I decide to upgrade.

The whole WUP thing is a complete slap in the face. It's as if they're saying, "Hello valued customer. Those of us at Waves practice a strong commitment to mediocrity, which we're generously passing on to you, the consumer. We'll soon be unveiling newer, more functional forms of extortion, which you will endure with absolute excitement, and submission. Remember our motto, 'Waves, where the Q stands for Quality'!"

Their business practices remind me of an old George Carlin bit. Once you enter the name Waves in place of the original name, it's actually quite fitting. It went something like this:

"Waves is offering an extensive line of cheap crap, that you don't need, at extremely high prices. Come on down to the Waves department store today, and be treated rudely by our poorly trained staff. At Waves, we have hundreds of worthless items that we'll be willing to show at our soonest convenience. And at Waves we're not only talking about inflation, we're doing something about it - we're raising our prices."

Thank goodness for the other products, and companies who actually value the end users.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 03-23-2007, 04:25 PM

So, let me get this straight, bencaue up untill last year I had a nice workaround for waves. but i digress.

Are you completely unable to use your bundle if you do not purchase they WUP? or are you just stuck in the current version and unable to upgrade without paying?

thanks

"Peddling Medicine" 4-17-07