Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Bugged sessions - System crash on startup

Hi,

I only got my HD2 system a few months ago, but since then this problem has happened twice. It's hard to describe exactly, as it seems to be pretty random, but here goes:

In both cases i was working in a session, and everything is fine. I can close go to another session and back to this one and all works. But then i turn off my computer and come back the next day to open it - Pro tools opens fine but while opening the session the whole system freezes (as in: the mouse doesn't even move and i have to hold the powerbutton to restart). It always freezes at the same spot: "Restoring tracks - activating inserts: *trackname*" - and it's always the same track.
If i don't restart just yet, and leave this for a while - after ca 1 minute the computer's cooling system will start going crazy. Fans go up to speeds i didn't know were even possible and the noise coming from them sounds like the computer is about to explode any minute! At that point always just panic and pull the plug.

Ok, so it always stops on the same track so i try making a new session and importing session data. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't - but it doesn't seem to depend on whether i include that track or not. As i could import that track sometimes and it would be fine...
But here is the weird thing - after importing everything into a new session saving it and everything works fine - i close it and try to open it again, and then the same error happens. And this ALSO happens if i don't include the track it originally froze on, it just stops on a different track now!

Thankfully for some reason, one of the automatic backups works - so I also tried saving that session as a copy, making a copy of all audio files (in case a file was in a corrupt fragment of the disk or something), plugin settings and everything. Can't open that session either.. same error...

I also tried copying to a different hard drive..
Also of course trashed prefs, etc...

But then somehow, by doing the exact same thing again (opening an old backup, saving a copy and importing newer session data into it), the session is suddenly fine.

This is the weirdest error i've come across in Pro Tools, i can't seem to find any tendencies for it to happen when i do this or that. Just happens randomly. And other sessions using the same exact plugins, channel types, etc are fine.

Does anyone else have an experience with this?

System specs:

HD2 - 96i/o
Pro Tools 8.0.1cs1

Power Mac G5
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
Memory: 2.5 GB
Old 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Bugged sessions - System crash on startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliarnalds View Post

In both cases i was working in a session, and everything is fine. I can close go to another session and back to this one and all works. But then i turn off my computer and come back the next day to open it - Pro tools opens fine but while opening the session the whole system freezes (as in: the mouse doesn't even move and i have to hold the powerbutton to restart). It always freezes at the same spot: "Restoring tracks - activating inserts: *trackname*" - and it's always the same track.
Hi,

It points towards this same track every time? so either there's a plugin on this track which is incompatible or out of date or the audio on this track has become corrupted.

First check all plugins are up to date!!

what plugins are on this track?

If you do manage to get this track to load, then select all the audio on that track from the beginning of the song and use consolidate to create a new audio file for the regions on this track! then open a new session and import everything except the problem track then import the new consolidated audio into the new session. this will eliminate an audio region corruption.

Total system freeze is quite a serious issue and its possible for incompatible plugs to cause this!! so double check your plugins are all the latest versions as i mentioned above. and let us know the plugins on the problem track.

There are many other possible causes! hard drive / Ram etc, but start with the obvious and easy to eliminate possible causes first.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Thank you Chris,

Sorry, i now realize that i forgot to mention that of course the first thing i tried was to make sure the plugins were up to date!
The only plugins on these channels were Kontakt3 and D-verb (in the first session); D-verb and Filterbank P4 in the second session.
That channel in the first session was a MIDI channel so there is no consolidating audio there..
I also tried removing both these plugins from the Plug-Ins folder to open up the session without them, but that still didn't work.
But I do mention that even though i imported session data into a new session, and skipped this channel, i still had this problem. And i could open up a backup of the session (which still had this channel) just fine.

I also have lots of other sessions which use these plugins and they work just fine...

I did also try to see if the problem was with the next channel (ie. the channel below the one it freezes on, just in case it was freezing before that channel was showing up on the loading process window) - but that was not it either.

I'm sorry that the info is confusing - it's just as i said, haven't been able to find any sources of this problem, so hard to describe when this happen and when it doesn't...

Just to be clear - both sessions are working now, but it took me a lot of work to get them back up to date (importing session data and even re-doing some things manually), and since this happened twice in the past month or so, it will probably happen the 3rd time as well...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliarnalds View Post
Thank you Chris,

Sorry, i now realize that i forgot to mention that of course the first thing i tried was to make sure the plugins were up to date!
The only plugins on these channels were Kontakt3 and D-verb (in the first session); D-verb and Filterbank P4 in the second session.
Kontakt3 is not compatible with Pro Tools 8.

Plug-ins Compatibility
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-21-2010, 01:20 PM

I've had this same problem from time to time and never found a solution for it. Usually I'd have to create a new session and import tracks back in, which would only work for the time the new session was open. Next time I opened the newly created session - kernal panic. Sometimes trashing prefs would solve it; sometimes trashing the fades folder; sometimes deactivating DSP's and forcing the DSP to re-shuffle the plugin order would help. It's such a complex issue that it almost seems like voodoo. I recently had it happen again, along with -1146 errors and not being able to change the playback engine size. None of the prescribed methods helped, including re-installing Protools. so I reverted back to 7.4cs2 and all problems are gone.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM

This is happening again! waaaaaa
And now none of the backups are working...

Yes i can import the session data into a new session, and if i close that i can open it again BUT if i restart the computer then i can't!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Kontakt3 is not compatible with Pro Tools 8.

Plug-ins Compatibility
Kontakt 4 is not compatible with PPC...

Anyways - removing Kontakt 3 from the plugins folder helped nothing. Still same error, on same channel (which only has D-verb and Filterbank P4 on it).

Scottgreiner: This indeed seems to be the same experience i'm having. There is no rule as to when it works and when it doesnt...

Does Digi have any input on this?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM

...and if i import everything except the channel it stopped on, it just starts crashing on a different channel.

So it actually doesn't seem to have much to do with that channel at all...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 PM

try going back to 7.4. worked for me