Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2015, 03:29 AM

Default Sonnet Echo Express SE II Big Issue

for anyone deciding to purchase the Echo Express SE II unit I'd highly suggest you don't right now; here's our story....

1st off, We based our purchase decision on the fact that Sonnet has a compatibility chart on their site with the AVID logo pasted all over the place; their Chart specifically states the HD Native PCIe card is compatible with the above chassis , we didn't need a 3 slot chassis and based on our needs and budget the SE II was our obvious choice.

2nd, (as i discovered after the fact via AVID tech support) the SE II is not listed as a compatible unit, (other sonnet chassis are but not the SE II) also our Mac mini is fully supported and the HD Native card is completely up to date with the latest firmware and should according to AVID be just fine; heres what happens with the unit.

The issue i'm about to describe happens consistently regardless of where in the thunderbolt chain or if it's the only unit in the chain (I tried every combo possible!)

Here's the problem: When I boot the mac with the thunderbolt cable attached all thunderbolt peripherals show up just fine however the HD Native card and chassis do not and are not available in protools HD 10 or HD 11. However, if i unplug the thunderbolt cable from the mac and then plug it back in the Chassis the HD Native card magically becomes available to Protools. Once seen I also ran the DigTest app to make sure everything was functioning properly and all was 100% according to DigiTest.
Once the chassis is seen everything seems to work perfectly, i haven't done extensive tests, but so far so good.

There is another hitch thats a big pain, if you have to re-boot or swap accounts you'll have to go thru the un-plug/re-plug ordeal.

i spoke to Sonnets tech department, the guy i spoke too wasn't much help and had no idea what the problem could be and made no suggestion what to do next so I asked to speak to someone in customer support or upper management and was transferred over to someones voice mail since no one was there, I left a message and await a call back.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Sonnet Echo Express SE II Big Issue

Here's an update to this case. Spent a few hours on a tech support call with avid and we determined the issue was software conflict based.
Turns out that CITIRIX RECEIVER and Matrox Powerdesk were somehow taking control of the hd native pcie card...who knows why... this was also a total fluke find by the way.
Anyways issue is resolved on Mac OS 10.8 5.
coryrizos.com
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Sonnet Echo Express SE II Big Issue

I've come across another conflict. I installed Native Instruments Komplete on my rig and it installed some kinda Native Instrument driver in the login items that caused the same issue to occur. I deactivated it and it resolved the issue.
coryrizos.com

Last edited by Cryos; 01-28-2015 at 07:27 PM.