Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2019, 06:09 PM

Default Re: 16" MBP - Anyone Get One yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
I just bought a 13" with 512/16 the other day and was pretty impressed with performance.
Got an offer for the 16" base model for only 150€ more now, so I'm thinking about returning the 13".
But since Avid probably needs another year for their team of coneheads to make PT run on Catalina I'm not sure what to do now.

Did I understand correctly that if the 16" doesn't support an install of Mojave it will also not be able to boot from an external drive that has a Mojave system on it?

Have there been any known procedures to trick that? Like it's possible to install new macOS versions on unsupported old Macs using a patcher utility. Is there something like that but to downgrade?
There is no generic "patcher utility" that fixes stuff, the fundamental issue is new device support, GPU, LCD screen, keyboard, CPU, all at least slightly different... and be careful looking for utilities to help with OS version capability, most of what you will find is the reverse, exactly as you say, installing newer macOS versions on older Macs, especially Mac Pro Cheesegraters. And you run into digital signature issues that likely make hacking compatibility difficult or maybe impossible. I would not be holding my breath for anything.

Unless somebody here has one to test and prove it can run Catalina assume it does not work at all. This is one case where Googling externally is much more useful than asking here, lots more very technical folks out there with their hands on these already and lots of folks want to run Mojave for 32-bit app support... so if it's hackable you will find instructions out on the Web. So far... *crickets*. Practice your Google foo...

https://www.google.com/search?q=%221...e%22&tbs=qdr:m

I had a choice earlier this year to upgrade to the then new 15" MBP or wait for this 16". Suspecting this exact OS issue will happen, I went for the 15" that I knew would run Pro Tools out of the box. But good they have finally addressed the frigging keyboard...