Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Default i3 with PTL8,window xp

hi,planning to upgrade my system from core2 duo to i3 processor,with xp service pack3 only,nt gettng any informatin whthr protools 8 support i3 or nt
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Default Re: i3 with PTL8,window xp

Not a good idea. First off, XP is not an upgrade. Next, the i3 is a "budget" processor and you want "power". I would not do anything until you can afford to move to an i7.

LE8 would work on an i3, BUT(great big BUT) its not likely to be any more powerful than your old Core 2 Duo, and as you should be aware, Pro Tools is very finicky about computer hardware, so the i3 processor is only 1 of several important details(IOW, even if LE8 is fine on an i3 cpu, the rest of the system could be totally incompatible). Check the thread in the Pro Tools LE on Windows section of the DUC. Look for the sticky thread(always in the first page>upper section) named "i7 Builds". You cannot shop based solely on the cpu, and building is the best route(if you have access to the proper components). If you can't build, report back and offer what kind of budget you have so we can offer best advice.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 AM

Question Dae 115 error and input distortion

Hi,friends installed protool 8 on xp.
my configration is..
intel Core i3-2100CPU@3.10GHz
3.09GHz,3.42GB of RAM
motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M_S2P-B3
harddisc 500gb
when i launch protool first it shows error DAE 115,You can OK the error and Pro Tools will then launch successfully. Tried uninstalling and again installing protool but is having same problem,.
When i run protool by ths process, whatever audio i transfer in protool is distorted. it sounds good in comp but t moment its on protool its distorted.
Checked my m box by connecting to other protool,it work fine so i am sure about my mbox tht there is no problem with it,not able to figure out,need your help
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 PM

I tried

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 PM

hi,still waitng fr your help friends
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds839 View Post
hi,still waitng fr your help friends
I suspect you have a single disk drive. You require at least two separate disk drives for Pro Tools, one dedicated to storing audio session files, and one for boot/systems. And it has to meet Avid's audio drive specs. (7200 rpm or an SSD drive, SATA or USB2 or 3 in your case). All this 9and much more that you need to read as well) is described int he system requirements and installation instructions.

You need to go read this stuff and ensure your systems meets those specs, then once you have done that read the optimization steps under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this page. And apply each and every one of those optimizations, still stuck try the troubleshooting steps documented there.

If your system meets the product specs and you do all the optimizations and basic troubleshooting and are still stuck then post a Sandra report as described in the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link.

And what interface are you using? I'm guessing its Firewire from the DAE error (if so I hope its an TI chipset based adapter). If on Windows post a Full Sandra report...

You are wasting everybody's time, including yours, by posting problems here about a system that is seriously out of spec to run Pro Tools. One disk drive is an absolute non-starter, an i3 processor is a concern. And as Albee has tried to help you with, an i3 processor may be underpowered, especially if you want to run many plugins or VIs. An i5 or i7 is *much* better performance and value for a Pro Tools system.

Darryl
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM

There are NO Avid supported computers that run an i3 processor.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com