Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM

Default Problem: Recording Electric Drums via Midi with Addictive Drums (Latency problem)

Hi
I am recording some music with
Eleven Rack
Macbook 4.1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
Pro Tools 9.0.6
Alessis 10 DM module and pads
Addictive Drumms via midi

I'm having some latency issues, i connect the alessis dm 10 to the eleven rack via midi, the eleven rack to the laptop, i open pt 9, create a stereo instrument track, open on insert the addictive drummer and even though i already click the low latency option, when the drummer is hitting the pad, there is a small delay(Latency not an fx) and it messes up the rhythm while recording, and even when is not recording too... Any idea on how i can eliminate the delay or latency problem?

Last edited by Don Bravo; 07-04-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Problem: Recording Electric Drums via Midi with Addictive Drumms (Latency problem

Did you try reducing your buffer size?

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Problem: Recording Electric Drums via Midi with Addictive Drumms (Latency problem

Yes, i tried with lowest buffer size and tried some other levels too.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Problem: Recording Electric Drums via Midi with Addictive Drums (Latency problem)

This may not be what you want to hear but I have a vdrum setup and what I do when I want to record midi from them is to monitor my vdrum sounds while I'm recording even though the sounds are not as inspiring or even close to what I will end up using for VI drum sounds. I have the old td10 expanded Roland so it's pretty old but I made a kit that sounds pretty natural for general purposes.

There is a well known session drummer on another forum who has done a lot for toontrack and I saw that he does this as well which made me feel better.

I also spent some time tweaking the velocity response on my pads while recording midi into Pro Tools to make sure they are doing what I want and that they will translate to the VI's also without much tweaking.

I record the audio from my vdrums as well so I can check any weird midi notes against it. I will get something that's off every once and a while that I know I played well and I can line up the notes to that audio if needed.

Many do it the way you are but this is just way less of a headache for me...
Old 07-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Problem: Recording Electric Drums via Midi with Addictive Drums (Latency problem)

At least is something, if there is no other solution, i will use it, thank you.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 PM

1 thing I can't tell if you missed or not is; DON'T have midi going BACK to the Alesis brain as it COULD cause double-triggers(this happened when I first setup with a Roland V-kit). Personally, with my old(now gone...and MISSED) TD-10 Roland kit and EZdrummer, Superior Drummer and Addictive drums, the response was very good and I rarely heard any mention of latency, even from "real" drummers(I can pound out a beat, but have to edit the daylights out of the midi). FWIW, I always track at the 64 buffer and never use LLM The ultimate(for me anyway) was a hybrid with real hat and cymbals on the TD-10 kit and Addictive or SD2 for shell sounds(although my current Sleishman "BOP" kit is AMAZING!!!(special thanks to Michael and Lee for the loaner kit). The 18" bass drum totally trashes my 24" house kit

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave