Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 04:09 AM

Default Re: How do you maintain your mac and drives?

[note to self]
Don't hire studio time in Ardmore until Chompers posts saying how much he's enjoying his new drives.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chompers:
The best advice I can give anybody is to buy a boatload of firewire drives.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...or a FW dock. Cheaper in the long run, and unless you are selling the FW drive to your clients, there's no need for all those extra elecronics.

Check out http://www.npstudios.com/fwdock.html for more info.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:52 PM

Heck, we rebuild the desktop every day. Zap the PRAM once a week.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:18 AM

Tech Tools? This seems like as good a plae as any to say it. My iMacDV 400mhz went kerzitz last summer and after almost 2 months of hours of tech support and re-config, resulted in an ultimate diagnosis by Apple of defective hard drive and possibly logic board(Apple replaced both under Applecare and solved the problem). I was running Disk First Aid and Tech Tools constantly, often coming up with all sorts of errors on Disk First Aid while Tech Tools happily reported that everything was fine, again and again as things got progressively worse.My evaluation-it's useless, don't trust it ever.
On an end note: The iMac is now my dedicated office computer while a new 11th hour Quicksilver G4 Dual 1 ghz is ripping up PTLE. I am in the process of buying a 2nd internal drive for the audio files (to replace my FW which will now be a general backup drive.) Lot's of handy maintenance ref's here. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] (newbies -take notes- there will be a test- the kind that could cost you irreplaceable files.)
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 02-01-2003, 12:20 AM

Dont forget the other important maintenance routines; rebuilding your desktop once a week or month, and whenever you do crash in PTle, trash your digisetup and PT preferences and your DAE folder preferences, then restart.

Steve