How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools is Critically Low on Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJarzabek View Post
Still having the memory problem. Any help?

Avid knows about this, do a search in the DUCK. I call this a "memory leak", if you work on a "heavy" session for a while PT will give you a memory error and will crash just as you indicated. My sessions are big, lots of plugs, video, heavy automation etc BUT...I start from re-boot, open the session plays file for a few hours (usually 3 to 4 hours of work depending on how much editing) and then crash!

Some suggest NOT to use VI, no thick automation, unload the video to satellite, no elastic audio etc,etc,etc. But I do not use any VI, MIDI, or elastic audio so...the problem remains, everybody knows about it.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:31 PM

This is really irritating, I'm trying DV50 and DV video next, instead of H.264. Any video recommendations?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:18 PM

I changed the video to Apple 422, but the problem still exists. I noticed if TL Space is completely removed from the session, it seems to run ok. When TL Space is in the session, even just one insert, it begins to build up memory in the Activity Monitor.

Is there a problem with TL Space and memory in Pro Tools 9???
Old 05-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Have been running into that same problem here on PT 9.0.2

Running at 32GB of RAM so I believe the problem isn't there

Any fix yet?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 AM

bane

of

my

life

constantly get this issue - on HD and HD native PT9 - fully legit system - all plugins up to date - 9.01 and 10.6.4 (tho had it on pt8 too) - 8 gig of ram in 8 core westmere mac pro

killing me....activity monitor is showing around 1.84 GB used on this current LARGE session with several VIs - lots of automation and MANY plugins...
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Are there any VI's you can offload from the PT memory space, Kontakt 4, Spectrasonics and a few more have "server" options that allow their VI's to use memory outside of PT.
Interface: Antelope Audio Zen-Studio
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
Macbook Pro 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 06-13-2011, 01:13 PM

This happened to me last Friday doing a 20-track post session with several stereo auxes (HD3 Accel) - tracks were dialog, music and a few for sfx. I was using a few RTAS plugins (DNS One, etc), but most were TDM. I tried to load Sony Oxford De-click via AudioSuite and got the low memory error. Restarted, tried again, same result. I was finally able to load it as RTAS, and it worked fine. I checked memory usage for Protools in Activity Monitor and it was using around 768 MB of RAM or so - I have 16GB installed in my new Mac Pro 6-Core 3.33ghz.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Like many others here I've been getting this in every version of 9.x. The other morning it happened immediately upon opening the same session I had closed the night before, before I did ANYTHING in the session, on a fresh boot of both the Mac & PT. I rebooted the Mac again and it opened as normal. The warning still comes periodically and I've found that I quit PT a lot & reboot during the day just trying to avoid it.

But that warning on the fresh boot of both the Mac & PT makes me think this is some huge memory leak that pops up like roulette. It does NOT occur only after working in a huge session for extended periods. It can happen anytime.

This is widespread and everyone I interact with that uses PT9 has it. I had hoped that the 9.0.3 release would have found it, but no mention of a memory fix.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 AM

i saw this error the other day when i opened a session from another studio. it appeared to be the result of an older version of autotune that was inserted on a track. when i made it inactive, the problem went away and everything behaved fine. oh, and the problem only existed when the autotune plugin window was open.

not saying this is specifically what you've been dealing with, but check your plugin versions for compatibility with pt9. might be the source of the trouble.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 AM

Try working with 1 level of undo -when ram usage in activity monitor spikes around 2.7gig quit PT and relanuch.

Cheers

Bruno