Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2020, 08:45 AM

Default fix distortion in audio restoration project?

Hey all,

I've got an audio restoration gig, consisting of cleaning up several precious old out-of-print classical records. One in particular has brief moments of distortion at loud peaks. It is clean except for these peaks. This is not digital clipping, but rather an analog distortion present on the source. We've even been able to examined more than one (identical) LP pressings, and the distortion is present in the same spots on all.

How to fix?

My best solution - so far - is to use Izotope RX to manually select and lower the gain of the tiny bits of distortion, often working the frequencies in-between the music when possible. Sometimes this kinda sorta works...

Help!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-22-2020, 08:52 AM

Default Re: fix distortion in audio restoration project?

That would have been my suggestion too. Maybe check their website and look for some tutorial videos on that function? Then there are some other plugins that are worth a demo:

https://accusonus.com/products/audio...era-de-clipper

http://www.perfectdeclipper.com/

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Thnx I'll check those out
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-22-2020, 01:28 PM

First, congrats! That's a cool gig.

Second, if the distortion was electronic, that's a tough problem, especially if it was transistor breakup. Almost intractable in some cases. Zoom in to the detailed waveform level and see where the discontinuities lie. If they're restricted to the high amplitude portion of the waveform, that's easier to deal with. If they lie along the ramp up or down, several dB below the peaks, then digging out between the overtones may be the best strategy.

If it was mechanical distortion during pressing, which is more similar to clipping, that can sometimes be moderated with the De-clip module of RX. Zoom in and adjust the threshold until it's catching most of the discontinuities. You'll lose some high end detail, but it can be an overall improvement.

Don't forget to try Interpolate and the various Spectral Repair modes. Sometimes they'll surprise you.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-23-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
First, congrats! That's a cool gig.

Second, if the distortion was electronic, that's a tough problem, especially if it was transistor breakup. Almost intractable in some cases. Zoom in to the detailed waveform level and see where the discontinuities lie. If they're restricted to the high amplitude portion of the waveform, that's easier to deal with. If they lie along the ramp up or down, several dB below the peaks, then digging out between the overtones may be the best strategy.

If it was mechanical distortion during pressing, which is more similar to clipping, that can sometimes be moderated with the De-clip module of RX. Zoom in and adjust the threshold until it's catching most of the discontinuities. You'll lose some high end detail, but it can be an overall improvement.

Don't forget to try Interpolate and the various Spectral Repair modes. Sometimes they'll surprise you.
I've done vinyl restoration on and off for over a decade using various tools and RX is pure genius with the modules it has. Well worth the money & time spent with it. Is the distortion in one or both channels? If only one channel try bringing audio from the non-distorted channel (if the vinyl is stereo).

Something to think about is it might just be an instrument or instruments played a bit too forcefully and they just got blatty. Or a mic just got overdriven (thinking ribbon mic here).

QAPLA!
Old 10-23-2020, 09:52 AM

Question... how does RX do with clipped vocals? I have a project where the singer is recording remotely from her home and sometimes the vocal files she sends me are squared off at the top and there’s various degrees of distortion in the louder parts.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
Question... how does RX do with clipped vocals? I have a project where the singer is recording remotely from her home and sometimes the vocal files she sends me are squared off at the top and there’s various degrees of distortion in the louder parts.
RX De-clip module pretty hit or miss for me. Sometimes I am amazed with the results, and sometimes no matter what I do it only sounds the same or worse. It really depends on the source material, and it definitely requires a lot of trial and error with adjusting settings and re-rendering (from the raw audio). Anything that is severely distorted will never sound pristine, but De-Clip can improve things, sometimes significantly, many times marginally.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
RX De-clip module pretty hit or miss for me. Sometimes I am amazed with the results, and sometimes no matter what I do it only sounds the same or worse. It really depends on the source material, and it definitely requires a lot of trial and error with adjusting settings and re-rendering (from the raw audio). Anything that is severely distorted will never sound pristine, but De-Clip can improve things, sometimes significantly, many times marginally.
The secret with a lot of rescue work in RX is to do things a little at a time; don't try and fix it in one pass.

QAPLA!
Old 10-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
My experience exactly. It's occasionally jaw-dropping, usually an improvement, and a total fail only once in a while. Clearly it depends on the nature and severity of the distortion. But overall I've definitely had more successes than disappointments.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 10-26-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The secret with a lot of rescue work in RX is to do things a little at a time; don't try and fix it in one pass.
Bingo.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB