Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2018, 01:52 PM
danevaz danevaz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey, US
Posts: 23
Default Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

Hey All,

Still running WIN7/SP1/latest updates on a 5 year old Dell XPS8500. All has been well until early this year when a couple of times I got unceremoniously got kicked out of WINDOWS and when I tried to reboot, my SSD (boot drive) was not recognized by the BIOS.

I'm a retired computer professional so I did what I had to do to get things sorted out. Happened again a few weeks ago. Took the whole case apart, vacuumed inside, made sure everything was set and connected properly. Was OK for a few weeks, and then last night - "BSOD" 2x, which in the 5 years I've had this computer I've only seen maybe 2 other times when trying to load funky drivers.

The common element - the room was hot and humid and I'd been doing a lot of browser work. Air Con is on today and all is fine.

Would this be a sign of impending SSD death - a drive that stops working when it (presumably) "overheats"? I cleaned up the drive and it's nowhere near an 80% use rate. Ran Malware Bytes and my AntiVirus - all OK. Checked the SSD for bad sectors - none found.

The computer is set up in the same spot it's been for 5 years; same house, same room, same weather - so this is a recent phenomenon.

When I had the case apart I didn't notice any fans not working (CPU, Power supply).

Wondering if this is a sign from the universe that it's time to move on to a new computer with WIN10 PRO - as I'm starting to run into software updates that are only WIN 10 compatible.

Thanks for any offered advice,
Danny V.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2018, 02:26 PM
panamajack's Avatar
panamajack panamajack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miniappleapolis
Posts: 705
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

Just bought an HP Z420 (PT approved) with 3.5 GHz hex core, 32GB men, 3TB hard drive...and it included Win10 Pro...for $699. Was a refurb, but on'eim, or, as they say in the Kuiper Belt, WTF...
__________________
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2018, 02:29 PM
EGS's Avatar
EGS EGS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,559
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

Run chkdsk. Run a temp monitor test. Also, run a free pgm called Speccy that tells you all sorts of geekish info about your system.
__________________
Desktop: Win 7 / GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R / i7-980X hex @ 3.9GHz / 32GB / PT 9 / Focusrite LS56
Laptop: Win 7 / HP ProBook 4730s / i7-2630 / 8GB / PT 9 / U-PHORIA UMC1820
Info/Services link
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2018, 08:42 PM
zedhed's Avatar
zedhed zedhed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,894
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

As a retired computer professional, I'm sure you're aware of the need to backup your system....But I'll say it anyway if not for your sake, for others......
Make an image of your system drive before it's too late.
__________________
Too much blood in my drugstream

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 PM
jryser's Avatar
jryser jryser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plainfield, IN
Posts: 915
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
As a retired computer professional, I'm sure you're aware of the need to backup your system....But I'll say it anyway if not for your sake, for others......

Make an image of your system drive before it's too late.


Do you have any particular programs u use? I have CCC and I want to be sure that is “good enough”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
A Rig: MacBook Pro Spring 2013, 2.8Ghz I7, 16GB RAM,
OSX Mavericks 10.9.4, PT 11.2, MBox Pro 3, Glyph GT 050 Qx3 1.5 TB drives Thunderbolt-FW400, Presonus Faderport. 10 REMOVED!
B Rig:MacBook Pro Spring 11, 2.33 GHz I7, 16GB RAM, OSX Mavericks 10.9.4, PT 11.2, MBox Pro 3, Glyph Portagig 62 portable 1 TB drive Firewired with 400, Presonus Faderport. 10 REMOVED!
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2018, 09:58 PM
zedhed's Avatar
zedhed zedhed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,894
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

I use Acronis True Image but I think others use CCC.
__________________
Too much blood in my drugstream

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 12,031
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danevaz View Post
Hey All,

Still running WIN7/SP1/latest updates on a 5 year old Dell XPS8500. All has been well until early this year when a couple of times I got unceremoniously got kicked out of WINDOWS and when I tried to reboot, my SSD (boot drive) was not recognized by the BIOS.

I'm a retired computer professional so I did what I had to do to get things sorted out. Happened again a few weeks ago. Took the whole case apart, vacuumed inside, made sure everything was set and connected properly. Was OK for a few weeks, and then last night - "BSOD" 2x, which in the 5 years I've had this computer I've only seen maybe 2 other times when trying to load funky drivers.

The common element - the room was hot and humid and I'd been doing a lot of browser work. Air Con is on today and all is fine.

Would this be a sign of impending SSD death - a drive that stops working when it (presumably) "overheats"? I cleaned up the drive and it's nowhere near an 80% use rate. Ran Malware Bytes and my AntiVirus - all OK. Checked the SSD for bad sectors - none found.

The computer is set up in the same spot it's been for 5 years; same house, same room, same weather - so this is a recent phenomenon.

When I had the case apart I didn't notice any fans not working (CPU, Power supply).

Wondering if this is a sign from the universe that it's time to move on to a new computer with WIN10 PRO - as I'm starting to run into software updates that are only WIN 10 compatible.

Thanks for any offered advice,
Danny V.
Does the drive work or not? If not toss it, install a new drive and recover from a backup.

BSOD... what exact BSOD? That's telling you lots, why not look?

What exact drive?

How old is the drive?

SSDs don't have bad sectors that a operating system can see.

If it's a Samsung drive, fire up Magician and look at the drive usage stats and drive temp.

80% use rate? "use" huh? Measured exactly how?

SSDs will throttle or shut down on over temp. Details are all up to the drive...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:50 PM
danevaz danevaz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey, US
Posts: 23
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

Thanks for all the replies.

Of course I made an image backup when I started having issues.

The drive is a CRUCIAL CT480M50 mSATA (on the motherboard) SSD. I don't think they sell them anymore and couldn't find any firmware updates.

The 80% usage is in reference to some pundits saying you should never have an SSD drive more that 80% full. I'm at 60%.

There are a lot of variables at play here - but the heat in the room seems to be the constant factor.

I guess the real question is - replace the SSD with a SAMSUNG 850/860 mSata, load WN10 PRO, reload all my software, and see if I can get another two years year out of it,
or
just go for a new DELL XPS 15 laptop with WIN 10 PRO and Thunderbolt 3, USB-C ports.

I'll figure it out.

Thanks again.

Danny
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2018, 08:48 PM
zedhed's Avatar
zedhed zedhed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,894
Default Re: Signs of Impending SSD Failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danevaz View Post
I guess the real question is - replace the SSD with a SAMSUNG 850/860 mSata, load WN10 PRO, reload all my software, and see if I can get another two years year out of it,
or
just go for a new DELL XPS 15 laptop with WIN 10 PRO and Thunderbolt 3, USB-C ports.
If your current system has been stable, reliable and sufficient for your needs then the easiest, cheapest, fastest solution is to just replace the drive and reinstate image from backup. Little time and no need to "load WN10 PRO" or "reload all my software".

Upgrading a system is never a bad thing, unless what one upgrades to creates more problems than the last system. So "just go for a new DELL XPS 15 laptop" may or may not be a good alternative. You'll need to know before you buy....what you're buying into.

Ultimately though if "the heat in the room" is the cause of your problems, that'll need to be sorted out first.
__________________
Too much blood in my drugstream

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iLok warning signs dr_daw General Discussion 12 01-11-2017 03:23 PM
To DIGI: impending 8.0.4 le update forge13 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 0 06-17-2010 10:30 AM
Magma Power Supply Failure Signs guitar012001 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 01-16-2010 07:39 AM
Impending Pro Tools and Sibelius Integration Sonny in London Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 12 10-09-2006 08:18 AM
C24 Pwr supply warning signs? lampmusic ICON & C|24 0 01-05-2005 10:42 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com