Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2018, 10:20 PM

Default AVID HD I/O Analog not showing in peripherals...

I recently purchased a used AVID HD I/O Analog 16x16 to replace my currently aged, but installed and working DigiDesign 192...

Hoping someone might see something here that I'm missing before having to return this unit to the seller and / or opening an AVID Help Desk Ticket.

Using my Avid Omni HD as the master I/O. Digilink cable from primary of Omni to HDX card. Second DigiLink cable from expansion port of Omni to primary of HD I/O. Loop cables connected as were when using my 192.

The unit powers up, but for the life of me, I can't get it to be seen by my system. Although, if I unplug it or power it down while PT is running, I do get a message saying "an interface device has been removed", so it's being seen at some level. (?)

I've tried every possible cable / configuration I can think of to at least just get it to display as a peripheral including attaching the HD I/O directly to my HDX card and my Omni powered down. I have two 12' mini DigiLink cables. One that has been in use with Omni to connect my HDX card and fresh out of the box cable. Neither cable works with the HD I/O.

Trashed all PT prefs... Checked iLok for PT and Digilink licenses.

Since this is a used unit, is there a reset option somehow that will set this to factory settings or is that something that doesn't apply to the HD I/Os?

See signature below for system information...

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-03-2018, 11:57 PM

Default Re: AVID HD I/O Analog not showing in peripherals...

Does it show up standalone (without OMNI) and does the DigiTest see it?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Does it show up standalone (without OMNI) and does the DigiTest see it?
Hi Janne,

Not sure I understand 'standalone', but if you mean directly connecting the HD I/O to the HDX card with the Omni disconnected from the system entirely and powered down, then yes I have tested that. In this case, I get an error when launching ProTools saying that an Audio Interface cannot be found. I assume that one can use a HD I/O as a primary / only interface just as I use my Omni? As mentioned previously, despite the 'missing' hardware, when I power down the HD I/O and / or disconnect it while ProTools is running, I do get an error saying that an audio interface has been removed or missing.

I ran a DigiTest on the HDX card with the Omni alone which reports no errors and both with the HD I/O connected to the Omni and also disconnected as well as the HD I/O as the primary (only - Omni taken out of the system) interface. In either case, DigiTest doesn't appear to see the device.

Cheers...
Old 11-04-2018, 11:39 AM

So all signs are the HD IO is not working. The "standalone" thing is important and what you've already started to do. Get the Omni and 192 IO and *everything* else disconnected, powered off and totally out of the picture. Try Digitest to the HD IO. Try with different Digilink cables (yes even if that cable works elsewhere, swap it). If the HD IO is still not seen then the HD IO is having problems. What are the lights on the HD IO doing? My first thought would be to return it.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Here's what I see in DigiTest with only the HD I/O attached. Missing firmware perhaps or something deeper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 11.37.03 AM.jpg (25.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 11.38.01 AM.jpg (31.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So all signs are the HD IO is not working. The "standalone" thing is important and what you've already started to do. Get the Omni and 192 IO and *everything* else disconnected, powered off and totally out of the picture. Try Digitest to the HD IO. Try with different Digilink cables (yes even if that cable works elsewhere, swap it). If the HD IO is still not seen then the HD IO is having problems. What are the lights on the HD IO doing? My first thought would be to return it.
Lights on HD I/O are showing a 48k sync and Internal clock.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 AM

Why is it showing up in DigiTest connected as an expansion peripheral?

Get it *standalone* plugged into the primary port (which you know works from other uses).

Confirm how many different DigiLink mini cables you have tested with.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:05 PM

What is the power-ring LED doing?
Old 11-04-2018, 01:20 PM

Connext the HD interface primary port to the HDX card and see what happens
Old 11-04-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What is the power-ring LED doing?
Power ring is green.

DigiLink cable is plugged into Primary on HD I/O <--> Port 1 on HDX. (Also test port 2 on HDX - same difference)

Tested HD I/O both with my working Omni DigiLink cable and a brand new, fresh out of the box new DigiLink cable purchased yesterday.

Just so I'm clear, should an AVID HD I/O as the only interface display within ProTools as an interface just like my Omni does thus allowing bussing and I/O settings? I never tested option / configuration using my 192 as it's not supported in this manner as I understand. I've always used my Omni as my master I/O. The 192 as an external. In other words, an AVID HD I/O is a compatible I/O unto itself without any other interfaces necessary required, right?