Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2009, 07:06 PM

Default Back to Protools or something else

need some help. i have had years of mixing experience. I have an old digi001 AND newer LOGIC PRO. two different systems. My mixes are sounding so thin and brittle on Logic. I am hoping it is just my lack of "getting it right". My mixes on the 001 sound thicker and fuller especially in the bass area. The logic mixes are really wierd with the bass sounding really muddy and just ...awful. I have put up with this for years and the logic forum is just not a place to get advice with this post...Does anyone run both systems and notice a major difference? I am using the same outboard gear...I am not looking for a debate pt vs logic just someone who might shed some light on what might be the issue with logic being so brittle. I do not usually use software instruments..just acoustics guitar, electric guitar, drums, bass and vocals. thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Back to Protools or something else

Are you using the 001 for IO on both programs? Just wondering what interface you use for the Logic system(and what else is different between the 2 setups). I think its the first time I've heard it put this way(usually someone is trashing PT here). In any case, using what sounds best makes sense, but maybe the Logic system just needs a better interface or different monitors. I would NOT think that it should sound different as there have been so many blind tests and shootouts showing that pretty much ANY DAW can produce excellent sound, given an equal input. More details please

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 AM

You buy new monitors lately? I'm just asking because there where lots of complaints about the 001 sounding bad and very few about Logic sounding bad. I'm just curious if something changed in you monitoring system (speakers, better clock etc.) that is allowing you to hear the 001 better.

If you bounce out a mix as a either a two track or multi track and then import the files into both a new PT session and a new Logic session do they sound the same? they should or at least very, very close.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM

well, the 001 is the interface for the older PT system, ALTHOUGH I run PT lightpipe with an apogee rosetta 800. The apogee allows me to run several other outboard preamps...for both systems (not both systems at the same time). In essence I don't use the pres on the 001 at all. The seperate Logic setup runs firewire with a different computer...same preamps/rosetta 800

I did use krk 8 monitors in the last few years....and before that yamaha ns10 monitors....doesn't seem to make a difference. ...I will do alot more a/b monitor testing...

it's just gotta be me doing something wrong. so frustrated. i realize it could be so many factors...man.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:16 PM

although its vague, you must have something screwy in your set up. The sonic differences between logic and tools is miniscule, and there isn't, to my knowledge a " thin and tinny" option in logic. Have you listened to the mixes on other systems?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 PM

yes i have. wierd. I have switched to my older monitors. I am wondering if the krk's are too big for the size room.