Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 09-04-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Artist Series Avid Euphonics MC Color - left wheel not responding

I recently purchased a used Avid Color panel as a backup to the one that I've had for years (and which btw, hasn't has a single issue). Unfortunately, when I powered up the backup panel I noticed the the left trackball is not responding. The panel has no problems connecting and everything else works great, except the left "lift" trackball and wheel. The laser is not illuminated, but it doesn't light up when the unit is first powered on, which makes me think it isn't a hardware issue, but something with the panel's firmware or other settings. I updated to the latest firmware but it didn't fit the issues. Also, the issue persists when when plugged into different computers and when not plugged in at all - the lift laser blinks at startup, then is not illuminated or functional.

Wondering, do you guys think this is a hardware issues that needs to be sent in for repair, or is it something that can be fixed in the field? Is there a way to "hard reset" the panel to the factory defaults? I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

- Nick
Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 AM
Avid

Default Re: Artist Series Avid Euphonics MC Color - left wheel not responding

Sounds like hardware, especially if your other unit plugs in and works fine. If its new I would get it swapped out.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 AM

I was hoping that since the laser flashes on during boot up it might be a firmware or settings issue and not hardware, but it probably is hardware. Unfortunately it's not new so I can't swap it out per warranty and will probably have to look into finding a repair shop.

Does anyone know if there is a combination of keystrokes to reset to factory defaults?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Avid

You can try redoing the firmware in EuControl
Old 09-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Great thought EddieJones, but I already updated to the most recent firmware via EuControl.

Anyone know if there is a way to roll back to the factory firmware, as the original version of EuControl, which hold the original firmware, won't run properly on current operating systems?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Avid

uninstall EuControl and put an older version on....you can then change the firmware to that version
Old 09-05-2018, 11:26 AM

I remember having to update older versions of EuControl because it wouldn't connect when I updated OSX. Seems like you should be able to use the current version of EuControl and still load legacy firmware. It would be nice to have a choice of firmware with each release of EuControl, for situations just like this, as opposed to being locked in to a specific firmware with a specific release of EuControl, especially when older version won't run with current OS releases.

The questions becomes, is there a way to install the original firmware on the Color Panel under High Sierra (and will that help solve my problem)? Also anyone know of a keystroke combination or secret reset button to return to factory firmware and setting?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Avid

The firmware is actually just software on the hardware and is usually tied to the same version of EuControl.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Understood and that is the problem. I have many devices where I can choose what firmware to run on the hardware via the software on the computer. This allows the user to chose which firmware they run and maintains it for a longer life as the computer software is continually updated to work with new OS releases while still allowing the user to pick the version of the firmware they run on the hardware. I don't really want to get much further into the merits of user empowered firmware release and rollbacks, just trying to find a way to get the original firmware on the panel in hopes that it might correct the issue.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:40 AM

hi everyone, today I turn my artist color on and it did the exact thing as posted, except its the right wheel ball, do anybody know a fix for this problem? I've tried all the above actions but none of them helped, any help will do thanks