Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-20-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Latency with old V9 Waves Plugins

Hello all,

I'm on a Mac Pro (specs below) and when using my old Waves Plugins, maybe about 20 or so in a session, it slows the performance down a lot. Like toggling via key command between Waveform/Vol/Pans/Sends.

At home, I'm on 2019.10 and I tried the same session on a computer running Pro Tools 10 with no issues at all.

I'm being told that it could be the older Waves V9 version. It is a $240 investment to go from V9 to V11 so I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this before I do it.

Thanks!

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 64 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770:
Universal Audio Apollo Firewire
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Old 12-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Latency with old V9 Waves Plugins

Probably worth checking the release notes

https://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes

Running V9, V10 and V11 here. I don't think I encounter the slow down you describe, just the general Pro Tools lag when things are loaded up in the plugin department.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Probably worth checking the release notes

https://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes

Running V9, V10 and V11 here. I don't think I encounter the slow down you describe, just the general Pro Tools lag when things are loaded up in the plugin department.

Stephen
I do periodically check out the Release Notes myself. There has definitely been performance improvements, bug fixes and memory management since V9. So it could be well worth the investment. Plus Central will be able to keep you up to date for the next couple of years.

As opposed to paying for WUP, though, you could always invest in a bigger bundle when you find a good sale. That way you also get a. It more for your money as well. Although it only really works if you can find an affordable bundle that has all your current plugins in it.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:44 AM

As for the slowdown, I just read a blurb from protoolsexpert where one of the guy's Mac Pro tower was running super slow(enough that he was considering spending $9K on a new Mac Pro). After a few other things that didn't help, he opened the tower and found it full of dust. After a thorough cleaning and reseating cards, he reported that it was running like new again

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As for the slowdown, I just read a blurb from protoolsexpert where one of the guy's Mac Pro tower was running super slow(enough that he was considering spending $9K on a new Mac Pro). After a few other things that didn't help, he opened the tower and found it full of dust. After a thorough cleaning and reseating cards, he reported that it was running like new again
That's nothing new as the thermal flow design is the problem. There's no filter on the front of cheesegraters to keep dust out. I clean out the dust bunnies in mine at least once a year. Also older Mac Mini's can collect dust in that little blower inside.

QAPLA!
Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 AM

Still on Waves 9.6 here and we have like 100+ plugins Waves plugins and never seen a slowdown. PT Ultimate 2019.12 and 2019.10 Ultimate on High Sierra and Mojave but never heard older non wup would slow anything. I can believe the new V11 might speed up things but 9.6 definitely doesn’t slow down your setup.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-14-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Still on Waves 9.6 here and we have like 100+ plugins Waves plugins and never seen a slowdown. PT Ultimate 2019.12 and 2019.10 Ultimate on High Sierra and Mojave but never heard older non wup would slow anything. I can believe the new V11 might speed up things but 9.6 definitely doesn’t slow down your setup.
Yeah that has been my experience. Although, I keep on top of my updates and I, never the first to jump to a new OS. I’m Catalina now and it’s all working relatively smoothly. I saw the writing on the wall long ago with 32-bit and almost immediately stopped using it.

Sometimes a fresh install could also help with performance as does clearing out old preferences and cache. They’ve also been known to cause speed issues, so it’s also worth considering. Be careful if reinstalling though, make sure you only install the versions you have a valid license for.