Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Any good recording mixing mastering learning DVD ?

Does anyone know a really good protools learning dvd for recording - mixing and mastering. I'm using protools LE since 1999, so I know the basic stuff, but I would like to know more or at least to see how professionnal are using it (I have learn it by myself).

What would be cool is be a dvd that cover a complete project from the recording to mastering instead of explaining a bunch of technical stuff from a bunch of different songs... I would like something like a session with a rock band and explanation how they have record a song with them, how to mix that same specific song recorded by that band, why they are using that compressor here, and some echo there, and some EQ, what are they using for the voice to shine in the mix, and what effect on the drums and bla-bla-bla... and finally, the mastering, how they make it sound like a million dollar record. It would be a bonus if it's coming with the protools sessions at each different stage of the session.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion ?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Any good recording mixing mastering learning DVD ?

Not a DVD, but John Keane's musicians guide to Pro Tools is a wicked book that comes with LE sessions that allow you to work all the way through the exercises. It sounds chessy but its not, you learn the real in and outs of Pro Tools. As it says in the front cover its for amateurs and pros. Well worth checking out, if you havent read then you will definetly learn from it regardless how long you've been using Pro Tools.

Cheers
Old 08-15-2006, 12:25 PM

Is there a section about mastering ?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 PM

mix it like a record by charles dye (kagi multimedia/harddisklife ....google it) is excellent if funny to us in the uk in a spinal tap type way!

this takes you through a mix but there is nothing about tracking. He does include session files at every stage which is handy so you can see how the mix sounds before going to mastering, and how he gels each phase of the mix together