Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Default Re: ARA: They really just don't know how to do this, do they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
i tried [Reaper] during the lockdown for few weeks but it just didn’t do if for me
Out of curiosity, what aspect of it was a dealbreaker for you? I know for most people it’s overwhelming as heck. There’s just so much that it does, and everything is customizable in different ways. It’s pretty much a DAW you can set up the way you’d like one set up. You decide what keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures to assign to which actions. You decide what buttons are on your top menu. You decide what it looks like. No I totally understand how the “too much choice“ angle can be offputting, but man, it’s a situation where patience is definitely rewarding.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
AVID doesnt seem to care much about improving the workflow really. Mostly keeping the boat floating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
One could argue that it is clearly in sustain mode with the occasional new feature (folders) every now and then, but no plan for innovative development.
I personally don't have too many issues with that.
If I have to pay an annual fee so that pro tools will work in the future, with new hardware and software, I will accept that (it works out to be just over a dollar a day, which is actually one of the cheapest ongoing costs in my studio). Occasional new features would also be welcome.

My expectations of Avid are pretty low so I don't get disappointed very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Geniuses here saying they don’t need ARA until they realize they can tune vocals without having to scan anything. I could go on and on, but those features alone will would probably take a decade for Avid to implement if they even cared to.
I guess that is aimed at me, given my previous comment about ARA.

I don't care about tuning vocals, but I totally accept that it is important to you.
I would like to see clip effects opened to 3rd party plugins, and I'd love to see a dedicated re conform function built into pro tools, or maybe see PhraseFind and ScriptSync ported from Media Composer to pro tools.
I'm not holding my breath however.

Above all else, I just want pro tools to be stable, with a minimum of bugs, working in the future on new hardware platforms and operating systems.
If that means new features coming at a glacial pace then so be it.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
I don't care about tuning vocals
It's not all about you, is it?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
It's not all about you, is it?
That is correct.

Full quote;
I don't care about tuning vocals, but I totally accept that it is important to you.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
Out of curiosity, what aspect of it was a dealbreaker for you? I know for most people it’s overwhelming as heck. There’s just so much that it does, and everything is customizable in different ways. It’s pretty much a DAW you can set up the way you’d like one set up. You decide what keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures to assign to which actions. You decide what buttons are on your top menu. You decide what it looks like. No I totally understand how the “too much choice“ angle can be offputting, but man, it’s a situation where patience is definitely rewarding.
I tried Reaper about 10 years ago, for hosting VI's while using PT. If I remember well, that was around when AAX happened and our good old trusty VST wrapper was withdrawn. Can't talk about now, but the UI for MIDI routing then (even though it did everything) was unbelievably complicated. I couldn't wrap my head around it until I came across templates on the DUC for that, because PT with Reaper was a thing at that time.

I used that template for years until I discovered VE Pro. Good points for Reaper though... ultra-lite footprint, super-efficient CPU / memory handling, never crashed (ever), inexpensive for that much power, etc etc... Excellent design for a DAW except for the MIDI routing UI.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:00 AM

Quote:
ARA: They really just don't know how to do this, do they.
No. They don't.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
I personally don't have too many issues with that.
I would like to see clip effects opened to 3rd party plugins, and I'd love to see a dedicated re conform function built into pro tools, or maybe see PhraseFind and ScriptSync ported from Media Composer to pro tools.
I'm not holding my breath however.
As long as clip effects are Ultimate only I believe that the majority of 3rd party devs would see the market for them as too small to be worth chasing. I'm sure a couple would bite. Maybe McDSP or another company similarly invested in AAX DSP.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:37 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

In my opinion ARA2 should definitely be integrated in Pro Tools. In my opinion it becomes messy real fast when you have to pitch correct and align an infinity of vocals.

ARA2 would definitely save us a lot of time.

For example now if I'm almost done pitch correcting a vocal with Auto-Tune Pro in graphic mode or Melodyne and I want to just change one syllable I'll have to transfer again the whole vocal and start from scratch. This could become a problem when working with stacks of full length vocals - harmonies ecc.

ARA2 integration could help us work smoothly. In my opinion it should be integrated in Pro Tools as a lot of DAWS already have it (even free ones).

What you think about this?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:52 PM

We work with ProTools, we create massive soundtracks, ON TIME ALL THE TIME, everybodys happy , we invoice and get paid, and the public gets to see great shows. Theres very little for us to complain about really, that wont be dealt with in the next big release or 2......its quite frankly only limited by your own imagination....our AVID stuff works great!!!!
Old 09-09-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u929 View Post
For example now if I'm almost done pitch correcting a vocal with Auto-Tune Pro in graphic mode or Melodyne and I want to just change one syllable I'll have to transfer again the whole vocal and start from scratch. This could become a problem when working with stacks of full length vocals - harmonies ecc.

ARA2 integration could help us work smoothly. In my opinion it should be integrated in Pro Tools as a lot of DAWS already have it (even free ones).

What you think about this?
Hi and welcome. I agree ARA would be a welcome addition to Pro Tools. Don't get your hopes up, though.

For what it's worth, you can definitely punch into Melodyne to replace part of an existing tuning session. Alternatively, you can commit and re-scan the trouble spot. I acknowledge this is not as convenient as ARA.