Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2015, 02:56 AM

Default SOLVED:Problem with importing OMF from Premiere ''...Assertion/Volumes/...''

hi,

to those concerned or affected with this problem or similar problem.
I had no luck with any suggestions here or other forums concerning the fail to import an .omf made in Adobe Premiere Pro.
The dreaded popup window

just would not go away.

I am on a mac pro, yosemite 10.9.5. PT hd 10 and 11.

I installed Adobe Audtion in trial, the OMF opened, no problem.
I tried to export the OMF from their thinking its just another PC/MAC thing (the export in Premiere was on a PC platform).
no luck.

Than i tried all the possible variants with export, handles, encapsulated files, referenced, wav or aiff, 16 bit/24, even different naming...

No luck.

i read some AVID comments about the problem with this being if you have FIlevault on?

No luck.

I read some AVID comments about the problem with this being if you have mismatched file bit depth/sample rates. Not true! The files in the Audition bin are all the same 48/24.

No luck.

The editor tried to convince me it wa either my MAC () or the fact that the omg is just to big. Even though the omg file itself was just 5 mb, with separated audio.

Than i started my trial and error campaign, exporting various variants of OMF within session.
I tried deleting some tracks... (btw, 40+)

No luck.

Until i erased one in particular. Its not important that it was the first track (would save my some time, haha.) in question.

This meant that if i erased the first track and left other 40+, i managed to export an omf from Audition and PT opened it without a glitch. (no handles, no trim but whole files, aiff, 24 bit)

I tried exporting just the one track (the first).

No luck

So i knew the problem lay in the first track somewhere...

So i tried exporting the first track again but erased some regions.
again the long and devastating/time consuming Trial and error saga continues

I located the problem within a region of a few clips.
And there was the problem.

Editor made a crossfade between two clips that presumably had different bit depth, AVID was right on this one

Upon examining and talking with the editor, one was shot on camera second one on Photo.
i Guess when you import stuff in the project Premiere doesn't convert but at some later point, e.g. when exporting?
It feels like that both the clips in question had been the same sample/bit, but the crossfade wasn't.
I can't say with 100% what exactly was wrong with the crossfade., but i can confirm that upon removing the crossfade i was able to export the OMF, and import it in the PT no problem.

Hope this helps anyone!

Now on with the sound edit/design/mix