Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-19-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Re: AVID incredibly poor customer service

Thanks for the ideas.

Sessions aren't real big, no virtual instruments, and it can happen with no plug-ins enabled, and as I don't actually need more RAM I'd rather not have to throw money at it and hope that's the issue. It can happen whilst Pro Tools is launched but with no session open, surely it can't be the RAM.

Tried disabling hyper threading, no luck.

Graphics card I hadn't thought about - single monitor, happens at 1080 and 720, Again changing a graphics card blindly hoping that's the issue is not an appealing idea.

What I really wanted it Avid to spend time with the crash reports and give me some ideas based on the evidence, thanks Tope for chiming in and hopefully getting this thing moving.

I'll keep trying stuff, thanks again for the help. I did notice some other threads on here about crashing on close session and other annoyances, hopefully Avid are working towards better stability in 2019 updates.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Also try with turbo boost off.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 PM

have you done the Remove all plugins from your plugins folder .. then restart and let pro tools rebuild those plugins .. then run PT with any 3rd party anything .. if you have already sussed out your plugins and know for SURE that it is not one of them !! as that happens alot .. maybe missed a newer version or just plain a pesky plugin ..

and you use Pete Gates PT PRefs App to toss prefs ..

again if you have been through all this please just disregard and i will keep thinking !!!

and Avid did reply here ... lets hope they can get you sorted quickly

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-19-2019, 04:13 PM

Last couple of times i had these kind of errors(admittedly on win) i had RAM issues-the first time one mem stick was not fully seated and backed out just enough to cause intermittent faults and the second time i had one ram stick actually decide to go bad. I cant remember how i found out that it was bad, but I vaguely remember trying to run with only stick "A" then stick "B" etc. Just throwin that out there
Old 02-20-2019, 02:22 AM

Wow never seen that Pete Gates thing, will try that out amongst other things and report back...
Old 02-20-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
Some CPUs have problems with Hyperthreading and Protools... Some say especially Xeon e5v2 (the ones in the trashcan Mac Pros)
I had trouble with the 3.7GHz 4-core processor that was factory installed, and disabling HT was a godsend.

Now I upgraded (yes it is possible, but not a walk in the park) the processor to 3.0GHz 10-core processor (E5-2690-v2) and have zero problems with PT and there is no difference whether HT is on or off.

Maybe it's to do with number of cores? The more the better?
Old 02-20-2019, 04:53 AM

I tried turning off "hardware multi-threading" through Xcode > Instruments. On reboot it resets though. Is there a better way to do this?

The problem still occurs but perhaps it's a combination of things, so maybe this did/will help in some way.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 AM

I am one of the many having the exact same issues as you are having. For the CPU thing, Google CPUSetter (in case this links doesn't work - https://www.whatroute.net/cpusetter.html). I just ran the application, turned off hyperthreading, rebooted and hyperthreading is still disabled.

I am remote from my PT rig (using Teamviewer to do this), so I cannot really burn test to see if it helps any, but I am willing to do anything at this point myself. lol
Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aside View Post
I tried turning off "hardware multi-threading" through Xcode > Instruments. On reboot it resets though. Is there a better way to do this?
cpusetter app
Old 02-20-2019, 05:12 PM

I think that it’s unreasonable to expect any company to truly provide support. There are exceptions but most don’t.

Avid says they provide support, but it’s all marketing.

You’ve learned that most if not all issues can be resolved with the user group here.

Learn to use the forum, including search.....if it’s a real problem then lots of people will be experiencing it, if you are the only one or in the minority’s, it’s usuealy operator error, lack of understanding.