How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Default Pro Tools crashes if app with other sample rate opens

Hi

Pro Tools says it can't communicate with my ID44 if I open another app like Logic or Kontakt and they have a different sample rate from the PT session?
I've checked with Audient and they weren't familiar with this issue.

I get this message that Google can't find anywhere else:

GetStreamASBD Error: 2003332927

Any thoughts?

Best

J
Old 11-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes if app with other sample rate opens

Thoughts? Yes don't do this.

You should probably avoid having an interface open by multiple apps at once, and you can't have an interface open at different sample rates.

Exact behavior is likely interface driver dependent. You can compare the behavior with the ID44 driver and the Built-In output as the playback engine when you change sample rates (in Audio/MIDI Setup utility) while Pro Tools is running. I expect you will see the behavior is different, so you likely need to follow up again with Audient--good that you already started there. Audient is a small company and it's possible that they don't actually develop their own CoreAudio drivers so it will be interesting how responsive they are. But for a start "have not head of" is just not an impressive response--Audient support should be able to trivially reproduce this or not.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-06-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Thoughts? Yes don't do this.

You should probably avoid having an interface open by multiple apps at once, and you can't have an interface open at different sample rates........

But for a start "have not head of" is just not an impressive response--Audient support should be able to trivially reproduce this or not.
Thanks for the advice but as you say, it's not really possible to run apps on different sample rates, however, the problem is that PT crashes when another app is changing to the set rate as it's opening. Other apps do not exhibit this behaviour so hence me checking if someone on here has had the same issue.

I never said Audient were dismissive just that they weren't aware of the issue. I've worked with them for over 10 years both with large format consoles and interfaces and their support has always been excellent. Think you were jumping to conclusions here.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:32 AM

Hi like darryl says is calling for trouble having different apps clamming their own SR at once common master device.

I got a Clarett 8 pre X wich sometimes with Protools opened i dare to open let say Sonnox codec toolbox and there is a SR chage when i do can i hear on my speakers with a "pop" sound. Sometimes luck follows me and nothing happens ( 1 or 2 of 50 lol ) but most of the time everything goes a mess after that with PT. So ...no good to do that as Darryl says.

Also multiple app working at same time has to do with the driver itself ( specially in windows ) I don't see your specs in you profile.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi like darryl says is calling for trouble having different apps clamming their own SR at once common master device.
Thanks. However, while good advise this is not addressing the issue. Pro Tools is crashing as the app that starts is changing its setting to the audio interface... This is not something that happens if I have Logic, Live or any other app running and say start Kontakt. By your account, you have the same issue so this is something with Tools and not the audio interface or the OSX driver, or presumably, an Asio driver. That's good to know but I still don't know what that message is and it's a bit strange that google doesn't either? Anyway, thanks for your replies. Best J
Old 11-07-2020, 08:05 AM

If you’re on Windows (you gave us ZERO information) it’s imperative to go into Control Panel>Sounds, and make sure Windows isn’t grabbing your Pro Tools interface as the default sound device. Pro Tools doesn’t like sharing hardware.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:20 AM

You and Audient support should have all you need in front of you to make quick progress. If Audient support cannot reproduce it then its your particular interface, I hope they have easy access to Pro Tools to test with. If you want to pursue Avid support on this you can contact them, but that is likely a waste of time, I suspect they don't even have access to one of these interfaces, and are not likely to care much either way. If Audient support can reproduce the problem then leave them to contact Avid and sort this out between both companies. There is enough complexity with audio interfaces (but usually more so for ASIO) where it is not unheard of for drivers to break some apps and not others. If that is happening here you need to let folks who know what is going on technically sort it out, not jump to conclusions you know which side is to blame.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Thanks both. I think you might've misunderstood what I was looking for i.e. just if anyone's experienced the same issue. I should've been clearer. Anyway, I've done this for quite a few years now so not really in any need of setup assistance or help with dealing with customer support. That's cool tho, thanks for trying to help out.