Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Default Re: ERXP - Release Party - Reactions

Wow, what an update. I have been using the 11R primarily as an effects unit lately. The amp sounds I have been getting from my Mesa Mark V in the effects loop just sounded better on the cleans/slight breakup and high gain voices (Mark IV, NO V curve!). I was using the 11R for crunch though, love the Plexi and AC.

Then along came the ERXP and the MS-30/White Boost/Black SR. I now prefer this unit for the lighter gain stuff as well.

Big time thanks and job done incredibly well to Chris, Chimp and the entire team (being a Software Architect myself, gotta do a call out to everyone behind the scenes)

Now if I can get a Mark IV with no V curve In ERXP 2, the Boogie will be going up for sale.

Awesome, Just Awesome!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:27 AM

Mighty impressed with the Matchless 30. Thats the clean sound I was hoping a Fender Custom Amp Shop Dual Professial would give me.

Just spent about three hours with the Blue Line and my SG bass and have a nice fat, round, punchy and harmonic Bass preset saved for the first time.

The RB stuff is far cooler than I thought.

My first amp was a 64 Vibro Champ. Still have it. So the "Vibe" put smile on my face. Slam that hard with a boost and see how it sits in your mix.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 AM

I am very excited about everything I have tried so far. Couple of highlights:

Amps

I have spent the most amount of time with the Matchless Model. Upon hearing about the update, this was the part that got me the most excited. I love Matchless amps. I mainly use the AC30 model and was really looking forward to something that was similar in tone and behavior but with a slightly different flavor. Well, it delivers!

I have set up two patches with it....one with the 2x12 Blue cab for my Duo Jet and Strat and another with the new 2x12 Bogner Cab for my PRS. These will more than likely become my go to patches. I really like the way that the amp model responds to overdrive pedals (referring to my external analog drive pedals). It has a very complex, chimey sound that retains a great deal of clarity when overdriven and responds well to dynamics as well as volume adjustments. I am really able to dial in the OD sounds that live in my head with my PRS. Very cool! I am hoping for a model of the EF86 channel at some point in the future.

The Bogner stuff is pretty stunning. I have heard many Ecstacy's and even gigged with one a few times when I was in a hardcore band. They have really seemed to have captured to organic, harmonic complexity of the amp. These models simply ooooooooze. I don't normally use that saturated of a tone when I play live these days, but I could easily see these models becoming my go to high gain patches when recording. The 2x12 Bogner cab is also really nice sounding but I think I prefer the Bogner models with the 4x12 65 cab.

The 50 Marshall and the Variac Plexi both sound really cool. You can almost smell the musty old things, can't you? I don't often use a marshall sound when playing, but there is such a character shift when you turn to these models. They have really done an excellent job at capturing the vibe with the vintage marshall stuff.

I haven't spent too much time with the other amp models yet.....but what I have heard from the Ampeg is pretty awesome. I am actually thinking about picking up another 11R for a direct bass solution for the guys that I play with at church.

FX

The Dynamic Delay is pretty cool but I don't think my Timefactor is going anywhere. There are things that happen in the stereo field with the Timefactor that are pretty jaw dropping that the Dynamic Delay does quite do. I do need to mess with it a bunch more. I wish they had included modulation somehow.

The Parametric EQ is freaking great! What an awesome tool to have. I often find that the patches have just a bit too much low end going on, like around 60hz and below. Shelving this out with the PEQ is really cool. It will also come in really handy with my DI'd acoustic guitar and DI'd bass patches.

Overall this has made my favorite piece of guitar gear that much better. I am super stoked for what might be released in the future. I can possibly see the Avid 11R team putting out different types of expansion packs....maybe a Heavy Pack (Diezel, Uberschall, etc.), a Boutique Pack (D13, Dr. Z, Trainwreck, Dumble, etc.) or even a FX Pack (a bunch of dirt pedals).
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Avid

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the great feedback. By the way, I came across some pretty good, dare I say excellent, Van Halen clips that some users posted on thegearpage.net. I think both use the new ERXP Plexiglass Vari model.

http://soundcloud.com/ratter/11r-vhslop

http://sites.google.com/site/jimific...edirects=0&d=1
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the great feedback. By the way, I came across some pretty good, dare I say excellent, Van Halen clips that some users posted on thegearpage.net. I think both use the new ERXP Plexiglass Vari model.

http://soundcloud.com/ratter/11r-vhslop

http://sites.google.com/site/jimific...edirects=0&d=1
Thnx for posting! That clip from Ratter is awesome!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:42 AM

All ten seconds of it!

There was a time many moons and much hair ago, when I could've given it a better go....

But IMO the trademark tone is near enough as anybody should want to get, and you can hear that from one note.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post

But IMO the trademark tone is near enough as anybody should want to get, and you can hear that from one note.
Agreed!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Inspiring as it was I did some tweaking and made a little "Unchained my Heart" clip with the 11R erxp Variac Plexi;
http://soundcloud.com/erwin_ve/eddyplex
Edit; also for me a long time ago, much to slow after listening to the original So I replaced it with a faster version...
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 AM

ratter, you need to post the patch on elevenrackpresets.com. We would be honered to have that patch.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Fiddled with the new presets last night. The 80s Clean patch is exactly the sound I heard at NAMM, and is the type of processed, chorused clean tone I have been wanting forever....