Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Changing Systems: what's the WIN Intel Core I7-3770 equivalent in a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdr View Post
Daryll

thanks for the answers. I've been through all optimization procedures both in UEFI als well as in Windows. Everything, including plugins, is up to date.

I've done some more research on the topic and found quotes about "Geekbench 3" benchmarks everywhere - I know, that benchmarks are just measurements and the real world experience may differ. Online, I can find "Multi-Core" results of my i7-3770 of around 14.000. Upgrading to an i7-4770 would get me about 10% more "power".

I mention that, because I got offered a refurbished MacPro5,1 (Mid 2012) 2x Intel 6-Core Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12GB RAM.
Looking that up, I do get "Multi Core" results of around 25.000. Looks good to me on first sight.
Another one offered (but almost 80% more expensive) is the same model, but with a 2x6-core 3.46 GHz - could not find any benchmarks for that.

That to me looks like the boost I might be looking for - IF, as I said, those benchmarks can be applied to the real world Pro Tools needs.

I could live with the lack of Thunderbolt and would get a USB 3.0 PCI-Card and use SSDs for OS X Sierra (already have my VSTs on SSD via USB 3.0).

So, any thoughts on that? Money-wise, I tend to the 2.66 GHz Mac Pro, IF it really gives me a "real PT world" boost I need...
I can't speak to all the different configurations, but I recently took my 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 from the stock 2-2.4gHz 8-core configuration all the way up to the 2-3.46gHz 12-core configuration (companies in both Florida and Minnesota will do this conversion on your existing Mac Pro processor tray fairly reasonably) and have had great results. Very obviously faster and working great with 64Gb of RAM and a USB 3.0 card installed. I run HDX so I don't need the thunderbolt connectivity, and this machine should easily run me another 3 years or so.

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Changing Systems: what's the WIN Intel Core I7-3770 equivalent in a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdr View Post
Hi
I am seriously considering to change from Win7Pro into the Apple-world for my Pro Tools 12.7 system - since I already work with a MacBook Pro Retina for smaller projects plus do all of my photo-editing there, it might make sense too.
I'd need to upgrade my Windows-machine anyway, since I am running out of power: current projects overload the system (mostly caused by the number of plugins used) - why not then stay in the Apple-realm completely?

So: I know, that a Intel Core I7-3770 (4x 3.40 GHz/8MB) is not enough for my big projects in the Windows world. What would be the equivalent for that processor in the Apple-world? That answer might give me a clue, what NOT to look for, when considering buying a used or refurbished Apple machine.
After answering that, would you be so nice and include a specific suggestion for a system? I am considering a used Mac Pro - I'd like to get a "trashcan" because of the small form factor, but that might be too expensive. So an older Mac Pro would do (must say, though, that I am not at all familiar with all its variations, so please be specific).

Main issue for me is not so much bouncing speed, but enough horsepower to mix plugin-heavy projects of up to 50 tracks / 15 AUXs, maybe 1 - 2 VSTs. I just can't live with constantly freezing/unfreezing tracks anymore just to be able to play a mix, because my processor is maxed out and asks to deactivate plugins.

Thanks for your help!
Just wondering if upping your ram to 16 G or more would help?
What are your drives?
I"ve been using a 2012 MacBook pro I7 2.7 Quad 16 GIG ram and installed a 1T SSD in the boot drive and have been playing the type of sessions that you describe with no problem, Even using The SD card as boot or session drive!
I will install a 2nd SSd in the DVD tray soon. You cannot do this on the MacBook Pros after 2012 as they have no space for a 2nd drive.
Maybe just try upgrading the ram and installing 2 SSD in the current pC?
Good luck!